Skip to main content

Just got my Smo45 and I love it , just going through the learning curve and asking for some help. Had a Masterbuilt for about 4 years until I wore it out but always wanted a Cookshack! On the Masterbuilt I was used to preheating to 250 and then adding the rubbed ribs, mop after 1.5 hr and after 3 hr I would would lightly sauce and put back in for 20 min. and they were great. Ribs were always about 4 lbs each. Can't seem to duplicate it on my 45. I do use the toothpick test always but they seem to end up either not tender enough or dry.

I understand it's a whole different animal so here's my questions:

The Masterbuilts control and temp box I'm sure was not as high quality as the CS so I tend to think I may have been smoking at a higher temp than 250? Maybe 275?

Does anyone preheat before adding meat, (I understand the elevated temp from what you set to start the wood but my wood starts to smoke at 100 degrees so I guess I don't get that part.)

Lastly, does anyone recommend using a rub without salt to avoid drawing moisture out before putting in the smoker?

Sorry this was so long but I thought I'd cover all my questions in one shot. Looking forward to another great adventure in smoking with my new CS!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Couple of thoughts: opening the door to mop will dump moisture and could cause drier ribs.

Some folks will pull the ribs out after a couple hours and foil til they are close to being done. Then remove from foil, sauce, then back in smoker for the last 30 min or so to set the sauce.

Don't give up. Keep notes on what you do each time. Use the search function. I definitely had a learning curve.

Welcome to the forum. These guys and gals won't steer you wrong.
Spares I cook at 275, loin backs at 235. I usually put a couple of coats of rub on, I think all of mine have salt in them. I'll usually start the smoker while i get the ribs ready then throw em in. Not tender enough or dry sounds like they are under cooked. The electric Cookshacks are a very moist environment, I never opened the door until I was close to being done. You don't really need to spritz them in a CS.
A couple of thoughts to add...

Did you ever verify the internal temp of the Masterbuilt with a digital probe? I would verify the temp of the CS45 as well.

250 - 275 is a good temp for spares. I'd be tempted to go with 275 for 4 pounders.

Most rubs contain salt. Applying rub more than 2 hrs prior to smoking may draw some moisture but as Andy says, the 045 maintains plenty of moisture.

Starting the ribs in a pre-heated unit shouldn't make much of a difference. I found that 2-3 oz of wood was plenty for my Amerique and lack of smoke flavor was never an issue.

I'm with Andy that they may be coming out under-done. Try flipping the rack meat side down after 2 hrs. When they test for tender with the toothpick, look at them between the 3rd & 4th bones...the wide ones at the brisket end. You should see a bit of separation between the membrane (ribs have 2 and 1 will remain after de-skinning) That tells you they're done.

Keep plugging away...we'll get you on track.
Talus00 I'm hardly an expert when put up against all these fine folks on the forum. I have an 045 and love it. Most of my ribs are St. Louis style ribs. Mostly use a brown sugar,salt and spice rub. Straight in to the cold 045 with about 2 oz of hickory. Smoke at 225 for 4-5 hours- at about 3 1/2 to 4 hours start checking for doneness using the toothpick test (definitely use this-one of the best tricks I learned from the forum). After they're done- brush with BBQ sauce and throw on the grill just enough to carmalize the sauce. Turns out great each time. Do keep notes, only change one thing at a time. Good que'in, and happy eatin'
I smoke my loin backs at 250* all the way. To me, higher or lower temps don't affect product quality but does affect finish cook time. So that should be the only difference between the 2 smokers regardless if the smoker's reading is accurate or not...except for Cookshack's quality and moist environment.

The toothpick test is the winner here and should determine when the ribs are ready to pull, not time. I pull when the toothpick slides through the thickest meat like in soft butter. I don't use foil cause I guess I'm just lazy and love the way the smoker handles the ribs by itself. When I glaze, they go back into the smoker to set the glaze. They come out great every time.
Can't thank you guys enough for all your info!
I be doing another slab of St. Louis tomorrow and will let you all know how it turns out.
You are all right, one slab at a time, take detailed notes, don't make too many changes at one time and it will get there.
Best thing about owning a CS is this forum and all the great people and information that you're kind enough to give!
quote:
Originally posted by talus00:
Thanks everyone for your help, ribs turned out great! Went to a butcher and used 275 for about 4 hrs. Been trying all night to upload a pic but this is harder than the ribs! I'm sending this message now, pic is coming but it keeps telling me it's too big, just a phone pic.
Thanks again.

PM Smokin & he'll get you photobucket info.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.