Skip to main content

I must have done at least 100 racks now and thought I had my favorite recipe dialed in. I always remove the silver skin on the back of the rack, coat with mustard and apply my favorite rub. 250 degrees for 5 hours give or take 30 min.

I was out of mustard and didn't feel like running to the store. So I contemplated the Worcestershire for a moment, then decided not to. I rinsed them under water, decided NOT to remove the skin this time and rubbed them with my favorite rub. I decided on 235 degrees because I had just read that was someone else's favorite temp. I used my 50/50 blend of 100% Hickory and Cherry. I used my PG500 and didn't open the door for 5.5 hours. Best ribs I have ever cooked. My bark was perfect, I had great moisture and the ribs had a good bite without falling off the bone. I only took one picture.

It was nice going back to the KISS method and having a great result.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 12642831_10207473182181745_1473568763161770258_n
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Padrefan98, I too now am a firm believer in the KISS philosophy when it comes to smoking. Back in 2007 when I got my first Cookshack, most times I got way too carried away with all the prep & rub stuff. One day Tom's wise words of "Would you do that same prep if you were doing several cases of meat??" finally sunk in, and my prep time went way down and smoking things became more fun. I think the taste "quality" actually improved as I was now letting the basic meat & smoke flavor shine thru without a lot of competition from other stuff. Now it's just a trim with a knife to get 'junk' off, a quick & simple rub, and smoke away.
I always take the membrane off the back side though. Don't want the "paper" there.
Thanks for the compliments guys.

I think leaving the membrane on somehow helped seal in the moisture on this cook. I liked the results and will probably try it again with one rack with the membrane and one without.

I have seen a few BBq shows where the pitmasters leave it on for the cook then pull it off afterwards. The crowd I served these to didn't even notice that I left the membrane on.

I suppose it would be unheard of turning in ribs with the membrane on at a competition. But there must be some comp cooks who leave it on for the cook.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.