Skip to main content

I cooked some St. Louis spare ribs in a competition against some friends. Everyone had different kinds of smokers. I noticed that my finished ribs showed a lot more bone at the end of the rib compared to what everyone else’s results. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on why this happened to mine and not theirs. Most everyone cooked theirs a lot longer than mine but the same temp (225). They cooked for 5-6 hours and I was 4 hours.

Mine were awesome so I am not worried about the taste or timing, I just thought I might want it a little prettier for the judges next year
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Questions & comments -

Given this being a competition event, you cooked on a FEC?

What was e the trimmed weight of the ribs?

My experience is that foiled Spares provide the most pull back but even so, I rarely see more than 1/2"

Time spent in a pouch tends to reduce overall cooking time. I was taught to keep the foil as tight to the ribs as possible to avoid steaming.

Johnny Trigg (as observed on Pitmasters) uses squeeze Parkay prior to and during foiling as a means of maintaining moisture. Personally, I haven't found this to make a difference.

I would concentrate on flavor, bite through and presenting uniformly straight ribs in the turn-in box. If you wind up with pullback; great but I wouldn't sweat the lack of it.
I used a SM025. It was just a 6 person competition with friends. We all bought our ribs separate so I might have just bought leaner ribs. They tasted great so it's not a big deal, I was just curious if any one thought it might be the wrapping or temperature because I definitely cooked my for less time. I even put them in with the smoker cold.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.