Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I buy Hormel BB's at my local Hy-fee and they are always very thick and meaty. I apply rub, smoke with 2-3 oz. of apple for 3 hours at 225. At the 3 hour mark I spray with apple juice, wrap in foil, then back in the smoker for 1 hour 45 mins to 2 hours. They come out being the most tender juicy ribs you've ever eaten. Share with family/neighbors/friends and they will love you long time.
We found ,over the years,that local butchers wanting to really help out,leave a huge amount of loin meat.As a comp cook,then you have to trim it all away to get consistent racks.The other group thinks of the cheap price of loins and the high price of loinbacks.Leave a lot of loin on the rack and sell it all at loinback higher prices.

Just an aside of dealing with butchers you don't deal with regular.
I don't cater any more, but I AM catering for my next door neighbor's day after 4th Party. 5 slabs of ribs, pork loin (as the packages from SAM'S say, each package of ribs (3 to a package) was 7 pounds. My neighbor only bought one package, I threw in two extra slabs and froze one of mine, same source, same weight per package. I'm using a SM150, I applied my cowboy rub, a layer of brown sugar on tope of each. I'm using 2 oz. of maple and 1 oz. of hickory. Cook them meat side down for about 2.5 hours, then flip, I swap front to back on each shelf. At hour 3.5 I apply sauce on both sides, today I may do that let them run 30 minutes and then foil for about 30 minute. My sauce is Sweet Baby Rays, some Yoshidas some E&J Brandy, a little Kecap Manis (a sweet thick soy sauce from the bottom of the barrel) it really thicks the sauce up very nicely...

Pics later.
Last edited by bigmikeinnj
Got the ribs in about 09:30, ran them at 225, used the 2nd shelf from the bottom, and the next two shelves up. When I flipped them at 2.5 hours I also moved bottom shelf rack to middle shelf and middle to top and top to 2nd shelf space. Based on toothpick test I let them run well over 4 hours. Took them to the neighbors and they didn't last long. Meat easily came off the bone and had rendered very nicely, no fatty pockets.

It was hot and buggy and after all that prep and cooking I only stayed two hours (between World Cup matches). Really nice to come home to an air conditioned house and a glass of wine. These folks had chicken, burgers, salads galore and the ribs. They went on until about 11 pm, great time.
bigwheel, Fart Wurst ??? jeez...
I spent 21 months at Fort Hood, 68-70. I liked the countryside there a lot, probably would have liked Texas a lot more as a CIVILIAN, especially back then. LOL.

Not off the Parkway, more like "near" Great Adventure (the adventure is when an baboon got loose and State Police had copters and cars everywhere along 195. Turns out he was using the vegetation along 195 to make his way someplace quiet. They caught him busting into a trash can in Howell. LOL Actually having lived in California most of my life I was SURE no place was finer. But Jersey isn't called The Garden State for nothing. Love it...

The ribs turned out great I use an SM150 and yes we DO use electricity here in Jersey. LOL. Sweet Baby Ray's is PART of my sauce, it's that cultural thing. I've fed my ribs to folks from the Carplinas and they like them, but yearn for a mustard based sauce. When in Rome...

The Cowboy rub is home made. Frankly it chaps my ass to overpay some fella to sell me a bag of his (choose the weird/cool name they call theirs) stuff when I can make my own... got the creative juices in the family blood. I got the urge to experiment from Mr. Angell, my grandfather, as a kid I'd go to his "plant" where my Dad worked and see men in the "lab" trying out some new breader material on shrimp and get included in the process. Check out Newly Weds Foods, you'll see where I come from, that's my family, my uncle now runs the business and he's taken it global in more ways than one.

I really like the SM150, these 5 slabs were about the max load I've done so far with it. We're always learning aren't we ??

Mike
This isn't directly a recipe,altho this article might be a good read for some folks making their own rubs.

Some of us "old cooks" Smokin',Ribdog,and I'd bet bigwheel,Maxx, and many others know them.
Back before the smokin' books craze and everybody with a bottled rub had it out,this was one of the few books that actually had some comprehensive info.

Our's and a couple others' were the only real forums out and Jamison's name popped up some.

Some folks liked a blend of Willy's and the Sweet Southern when they made their own.

When I said" Old Cooks",naturally I meant in terms of experience. Wink

Hope this helps a little.

Jamison's Dry Rubs
Going to check out that site here shortly Big Mike. Had a dear old pal stationed in the Highway Peteroleum bizness down there at Killen. He say you soldier boys was a mighty wild bunch..lol. Thanks a lot for your service Sir! Some of us had to stay behind and help Gabby Hayes protect the wimmimens and chillins with the scattergun. Some had to go up and drink half decaffe lattes with Sick Willy in Canada..eh? Guess we hit the bbq hobby pretty late in life. Smoke and Spice had just been printed and loved all the rubs. Now the cooking times and temps they said to use was sorta crazy. I love Wild Willys on brisket but none of the bbq judges seemed to share my views. We went to storebought stuff quickly. Now I can attest to how nasty is SBR by the fact we have an ex yankee from PA son in law who did not like it. He would normally eat anything. That aint a good sign..lol.
BigWheel,
When I was in, '68-'70 being a GI was weird, the locals wanted our money but not us. LOL. I don't think we were really that wild.

I think my first exposure to using coffee in food was as a cooks assistant. I was in the 2nd Armored Division as a computer operator and in early January of '69 they were transferring guys all over the place into combat units, me included. We were training tankers to go over to 'Nam or Germany like crazy. Cranking 'em out in about 3 months. A lot of the time spent out in the boondocks on "maneuvers". So the mess Sgt. and I were working out of a Deuce and a Half. We had a water trailer and would meet trucks that brought us our vittles at way points. We'd cook for 200 guys living out of their tanks breakfast and that was where I saw my first egg sandwich. We'd make bacon or sausage and then cook up the eggs (sometimes we used powdered eggs) in the grease. Then throw this grate on top of the stove and make toast. We had these mermite cans and would cook the food most of the way, then stash it in the mermite cans and it's residual heat would finish cook it. It was raining like crazy almost the whole time so We had a canopy on the side of the truck we could open and that's where we setup the chow line. Guy got a big spoon of scrambled eggs, sausage and 2 toasts. Most guys would dump the eggs on their toast, slap the meat inside and eat it like that. We'd give them C or K rations and by 06:30 they'd be off doing drills or on the target ranges until dinner. Eating their rations when they had a free moment during the day. We had trash cans filled with water and immersible heaters to heat that water: we had a rinse can, a soapy water can and a 2nd rinse can. Filling those trash cans was a real ball buster. The troops would rinse their canteen cup, soapy water and then rinse it before and after their meal. You didn't do it you didn't eat.

After chow we had time to clean up all the stuff, pack the truck and pick up dinner at a waypoint that was radioed to us. We'd setup at a different location and make dinner. Those guys in the hills ate real good. We'd generally be feeding them pork chops, or steak of some kind. We'd brown the meat up part way and then into the mermite cans it went. We'd chop up and fry onions in that same cooking pan and use powdered coffee and powdered milk to make gravy with all those browned bits dissolving. Then the gravy would go into the mermite cans with the meat and that meat would sorta crock pot cook all day. Instant mashed potatoes, a pork chop and gravy tasted mighty good to a guy that had been riding around in the rain in a cold tank. Same deal, we'd get radioed to a new location, setup the line and washing station and all of a sudden 30 or 40 tanks would show up and circle around us. But that's what we did and it really tasted pretty good.

So cowboy rub to me is sort of a tribute to the Gabby Hayes' of the world, guys that cooked out of the back of a wagon (or in my case a Deuce and a Half). Paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, lemon pepper, a little salt, cumin, a bit of brown sugar and (freshly roasted) espresso grind coffee. Pretty doggone good...

mermite can with inserts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-v...&hash=item233c291c5b
Hear you on the locals liking your money. Sounds sorta like the Airmen stationed at Sheppard in WF or the sailors in Norfolk during same general time frame. Appears like yall had the cooking figured out. How did you get along with the ticks? Heard they was rough in that area. One of my old now deceased WW II tanker pals said he liked the canned bacon best. Seems like he said they fried it on the motor or maybe exhaust manifold.
Yeah the bugs were nuts. We were out there at the end of winter, beginning of Spring. Glad I wasn't doing that when Summer came along. I found the stove we used. I was actually made by Coleman. Very ingenious. The case and lid were what you took the stove out of, you opened the legs up and then cooked either in the lower or upper parts of the case. Like any Coleman you added fuel to the tank and in our case we used the compressor on the Deuce and a Half to fill the tank with air. Same with the immersion heaters if I remember right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TM...3D131232768574&rt=nc

As for bugs. When we weren't out on maneuvers I would work making jewelry at this Special Services Craft Shop, it was the old base Officers Club building converted into areas where guys did leather work, learned electronics, a lot of dependents poured ceramic molds, that kinda stuff. Highly subsidized to keep G.I.s outta trouble. That was my major in college, teaching jewelry making, before I got drafter. After working there a month or so one of the staff offered me a position there teaching. As my DUTY, no uniform, no morning formations. None of that. I worked 10 to 9 5 days a week and had weekdays off. It was cush.

Why I mentioned this is this Bird Colonel's wife brought in the silver ring he got her over in Germany, it needed the band reinforced and such. I told her I'd take a shot at it but that the equipment we had wasn't so hot but I was pretty sure I could do it for her. I did, actually I nailed it and she was so happy she got her husband to get us a $75,000.00 grant for the shop. Holy mackerel I was buying individual work benches with locking cabinets that held a set of tools for that bench. We got like a dozen of them, stocked them with gear. About that time we opened a satellite Craft Shop out in a much older part of the base, it was OUT THERE and man there were more kinds of spiders out there. Scorpions, tarantulas, all kinds of stuff. It was so dead quiet out there it was a natural for them to breed like crazy. More sandy and rocky too. And when it was that Texas Hot you couldn't stay cool. So about 3 months before I ETS'ed we got all the gear and I was going from the main shop to the satellite shop setting it up. It was funky but great. Sorta like Texas was for me, funky but great. Beat the hell out of Germany or 'Nam that's for sure. You had to watch where you sat or went to the bathroom, those spiders were huge. Guys got good catching them in jars with a cotton ball with some shit that would kill them. They'd bring them into the shop and we'd sprue them up into molds and burn out the mold in a kiln and then centrifically cast sterling silver into the mold. We had a couple supply sgt.s that were sweet on a couple of the girls in the shop and they'd bring us boxes of sterling silver marksmanship badges. We'd use a torch to remove the mounting pins and excess solder and melt 'em down in the crucible just like using silver beads... A scorpion or tarantula looked pretty wild cast in solid sterling.
Sorry for the threadjack but though it was all very hard work in quite unpleasant weather it was fun. One more story: near the end of this one training cycle after a particularly nasty stormy day we're closing up the truck. I already had the trash cans emptied and stacked, I'm in the truck (with a coleman lantern going) and I hear somebody yell from down below "you got anything left to eat". I stick my head out and yell "hell no" and then I see it's a 2 Star General that musta been an observer of how this kids had cleaned up as tankers. I invite the guy in and find a couple boxes of rations and apologize. He said it was really ok and was grateful for the grub for him and his driver. Like a lot of brass they can be quite pleasant under the right circumstances. After that I cursed AFTER looking to see who was hollering at me.
Call it Serendipity, Coincidece whatever. Watching my daily SEINFELD episodes this one about Frank Costanza cooking for a Jewish Singles Get Together was on. Frank had an "incident" while an Army Cook in Inchon, Korea and swore off cooking for over 40 years. It's a crack up... If you were in the military you know scrounging for stuff is how guys get by and in some cases succeed in the Serivce, and later in Life after the military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rU5mpwJ6GU

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.