Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Papajack, I know what I'd do with short ribs if I had some. I'd braise them. I know that's not the answer you were wanting to hear but I really don't think they lend themselves too well to smoking. I've got a really great recipe for braised short ribs and it's extremely simple. If you want it I'd be glad to post it for you.

Don
I smoked beef ribs several weeks ago. I rubbed them with Montreal steak seasoning and smoked them for about five hours at 225 with about three ounces of hickory and two of apple. I enjoyed them but my wife did not. She said they were too fatty. In truth, they could have cooked longer and rendered more of the fat but I still think she would have whined - she only wants baby backs.
Popajack, here's the recipe for Beef Short Ribs. I've also posted it in the recipe forum at this link.

Beef Short Ribs

5 pounds beef short ribs
6 Tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 Tablespoons shortening
2 onion -- chopped
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 Tablespoons vinegar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2/3 cup catsup
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 cup celery -- chopped
2 cups beef stock

Combine flour, salt & pepper. Dredge short ribs in flour mixture. Heat oil in Dutch oven until almost smoking. Quickly brown short ribs is oil until nicely browned. Add onion and garlic to ribs and let brown. Combine vinegar, brown sugar catsup, worcestershire and mustard and add to meat. Then stir in the celery and stock. Bring to boil. Cover and put in oven for at least 2 1/2 hours. For last hour add desired amount of small peeled onions and whole small carrots. Serve over white rice.

--------------------
I've always braised these in the past too but last weekend I found some nice looking ones on sale and attempted to smoke them.

I covered them in salt, garlic powder, red and black pepper, smoked at 225 for 3hrs w/2oz oak, then foiled for almost 3 more hours at 225.

Cut them and served w/sauce on the side...they were delicious; so good that I bought 6 more racks and freezed them for later...

I was really worried about the fat but they were delicious--completely different than normal beef ribs--served them to 3 couples and the two racks were gone w/in minutes...

The above advice you got about braising is good advice but I'd give this a try if you have the time...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.