Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sometimes the membrane is removed for us. You could have purchased the ribs that way. It's happened a couple times to me, and I think they were Costco ribs.

I think of the ribs as having two membranes. One can be removed, and the other holds the bones to the meat. I can't tell by looking at them, but if I can't remove the thin membrane by itself, it's already gone.
"Not frozen" seems worth noting. I pulled some baby backs out of the freezer and found the membrane didn't behave as it normally does - couldn't really pull it off in a strip and wound up hacking it up a bit. Imagine that the process of freezing and defrosting somehow changed the properties of the membrane. In the smoker now, and hoping for the best.

quote:
Originally posted by Big KT:
If it is indeed the top membrane, the colder the ribs are, (not frozen)the easier the membrane will come off.
I remember the first time I cooked a rack of ribs. I'd done just enough research to understand that ribs "have" a membrane. I had no idea what it actually looked like but whatever it was, I was going to remove it. I worked those ribs over, determined to remove what turned out to be a non-existent membrane. You'd have thought I was trying to remove the bones the way the first one looked.
I suppose that's the problem with reading and trying to figure everything out myself. These days, I find youtube to be the ultimate guide to life, the universe and everything. Right after this forum, that is.
The next batch I do, I'll chill them nicely, then roll them up. I'm looking forward to it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.