Skip to main content

OK, who else ran across this yesterday? Numerous friends were texting me and sending me Facebook messages.

Pretty vague instructions, but basically take a pineapple, cut off the skin and hollow it out, stuff with boneless country ribs and wrap with bacon. Smoke at around 240 for about 5 hours.

I might try one this weekend. Pork & pineapple sounds pretty good, wrapped in bacon sounds even better. Who else is in?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by seasoned1:
what type of rub do you plan on using and will you put some run on the pineapple as well?

I'm thinking of cutting up some country ribs or maybe pork butt and giving them a good coat of rub and give the outside of the pineapple a coat of something spicy maybe Oakridge HDD or Crucible Rub.

And besides, it's fruit. It counteracts the bacon so it's actually a health food. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
quote:
Originally posted by seasoned1:
what type of rub do you plan on using and will you put some run on the pineapple as well?

I'm thinking of cutting up some country ribs or maybe pork butt and giving them a good coat of rub and give the outside of the pineapple a coat of something spicy maybe Oakridge HDD or Crucible Rub.

And besides, it's fruit. It counteracts the bacon so it's actually a health food. Big Grin

Country Ribs are pork butt. If your using boneless "ribs" you can cut them yourself & usually save $. Bone in (blade) you'll need a band saw. Better buy those Wink
Don't marinade pork too long in pineapple juice or you'll end up with MUSH.
quote:
Oh I know. Sometimes a couple of the stores around here have them cheaper than butts, like today. Picked up a 2lb package for 1.29/lb. Butts were 1.59/lb. See if I the rain misses us tomorrow and maybe cook it up.

I figured you knew, just wanted clarity for others. Butts, shoulders, Country Ribs. Confused
Ok, I've got to try this. I'm kinda thinking of using about an 8-inch section of one of the Boneless Tamworth Porkloins I'm now curing into Canadian Bacon. Might even stuff the porkloin with a hunk of my freezer sausage, then put it inside of the pineapple, Tur-duck-ten style. With plenty of bacon on the outside of-course.

By the way, the pork in the pic looks mighty white. Could it be pork tenderloin? Got a few of those too.
And the results are in.... Don't bother, I actually found a way to ruin bacon.

About three hours in, the bacon is starting to give way.

Cranked it up to 300 the last half hour to try and crisp up the bacon.

The pineapple started breaking down the bacon, the pork hit 180 when I took it out, had a strange texture to it. Ended up taking the rest and putting it back in the smoker for another hour. The pieces that didn't fit inside the pineapple turned out fantastic. MaxQ, your butt rub is fantastic if I didn't tell you earlier.

Was excited to try it. Big thumbs down. Live and learn...
Last edited by andyj
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bill:
Ok, I've got to try this. I'm kinda thinking of using about an 8-inch section of one of the Boneless Tamworth Porkloins I'm now curing into Canadian Bacon. Might even stuff the porkloin with a hunk of my freezer sausage, then put it inside of the pineapple, Tur-duck-ten style. With plenty of bacon on the outside of-course.

By the way, the pork in the pic looks mighty white. Could it be pork tenderloin? Got a few of those too.

Found another link that someone made it with a tenderloin. Might turn out better, but still think the pineapple will do a number on the bacon.

http://weberkettleclub.com/for...od-pics/swine-apple/
Yep, it was horrible, glad I didn't make it for guests. I was so looking forward to it. Sounded like it would be a pork-a-holics dream. A couple hours in, you could see the bacon starting to break down. By the time it was done there wasn't much left to it. Maybe thick cut bacon would turn out better. But, I'm not going to try it again.
quote:
Yea, I should have known better. Left some thin cut short ribs marinating in pineapple juice a bit too long once. They disintegrated once they hit the hot grill. Contains some sort of enzyme that breaks down proteins. Kiwi will do that as well.

Yep, the papaya fruit also contains the papain enzyme.
Andy J,
Do you think this might make a difference and give a different result?
Instead of stuffing the pineapple with raw meat, use precooked meat, therefore your total smoking time will be less (since you are only needing to warm the internal meat, not cook it), giving the pineapple less time to ruin the bacon. Perhaps throw the whole thing in a prewarmed smoker at 300 for 1 or 1.5 hours to cook the bacon, then remove and slice.

Thoughts?
quote:
Originally posted by Soleman:
Andy J,
Instead of stuffing the pineapple with raw meat, use precooked meat, therefore your total smoking time will be less (since you are only needing to warm the internal meat, not cook it), giving the pineapple less time to ruin the bacon. Perhaps throw the whole thing in a prewarmed smoker at 300 for 1 or 1.5 hours to cook the bacon, then remove and slice.

Thoughts?

If you want pineapple with dinner, I'd recommend grilling. When you flip, coat the top with a little brown sugar. Then serve as a side or with ice cream for dessert.
quote:
Originally posted by Soleman:
Andy J,

Thoughts?

Posted a link above that someone pre-grilled a tenderloin and stuffed it in whole. But I'm with Joe, slice up that pineapple and throw it on the grill! Don't be afraid to give it a good char.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.