Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The 009 has a max temp of 250, which is ideal for any cut of ribs.

I might suggest trying loinbacks in the 2 lb range, or St Louies in the 2.5 lb range. You'll have a better meat to bone ratio, less susceptible to drying out (though the 009 is a very moist smoker).

Mnay of us use Smokinokies "toothpick tender" test for determining doneness. Insert the pick between the bones. It should feel like a finished baked potato. If you get resistance, keep smoking.

"Dry and black" = overdone. A 2 lb rack of loinbacks at 250 will run about 3 - 3.5 hrs. A 2.5 rack of St. Louis will take 3.5 - 4 hrs.

Keep practicing and take notes...you'll get there.
Do they have any vertical curve to the bones? Sounds really REALLY small for Spare Ribs.

Unfortunately those are so small, it's going to be hard for them not to be dried out.

If you want to practice, just get one rack, not a three pack.

Can't really give you an XX lb for XX min on ribs, there are just too many variables. We can get you close but the KEY to getting consistent ribs is knowing the weight of you ribs. I've seen 1,000's of recipes and until I started preaching the weight issue, no one paid attention.

You keeping good notes, knowing the weight and asking lots of questions, we'll help you get there.

For BB, I don't smoke less than 2.5 lbs (I prefer loin backs over 3 lbs.)

Trimmed spares I prefer 3 lbs and up.
I'm with Smokin. I like 3 lb loin backs...nice and tenderloin meaty.

If you're getting half racks, then the smoke time won't be cut in half since the thickness of the ribs are the same as a full rack. I'd based on a full rack and watch it closely.

My 3 lb loinbacks take roughly 4 hrs at 250*. Half racks won't be much quicker.
Like the good cooks above suggested,we need to match the product with the process.

Without seeing bulk/thickness,weight won't always be too helpful. I've seen Winn Dixie take eight lb slabs of spares and cut in half,end to end to make them a four lb, 12-13 rib slab.Next to them,they cut one of these 4 lb slabs in half to make a six rib,two lb slab. Roll Eyes

Works well in the crockpot with sauerkraut.

Whole foods is more likely to be in the "grilling" ,rather than smoking business.

Thus ,like in memphis,20 oz "babybacks" will be flipped every 15 mins on the grill,until done.

Just a thought.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.