Skip to main content

Background:

Smoker - Amerique

Wood/Amount - Hickory and/or fruitwood (approx. 5-6 oz. (2 chunks or so)

Temp - 275 (spares) 235 (baby/loin backs)

Procedure - Trim/prep, apply generous amounts of rub, and let sit. (I have tossed them in the smoker in as few as 15-30 minutes after the rub is applied and as long as 2 hours after the rub is applied. I typically do not foil spares and I occasionally foil loin backs.

Problem:

I need some assistance with my (pork) ribs (spares, baby/loin backs). While the ribs usually come out tender, I find the flavor lacking. The smoke and/or rub flavoring doesn't penetrate the meat to the bone. I have been using simply marvelous line of rubs.

I haven't applied the rub and allow the ribs to sit (refrigerated) overnight yet. I want more flavor, but I am trying to avoid cured hammyness (sp), although, my palate might be wanting that.

Any advice and/or suggestions?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The amount of wood your using should provide more than ample smoke. How old is your wood?

I'm not familiar with the Simply Marvelous rubs. Two rubs I can highly recommend for ribs are Butcher BBQ Honey Rub and Rib Tickler. Both are ez finds via Google.

Are you removing the under membrane?

2 hrs of set time after applying rub should be more than sufficient but it might be worth a try to go 6 hours or over-night.

What brand of ribs are you using?
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
The amount of wood your using should provide more than ample smoke. How old is your wood?

I'm not familiar with the Simply Marvelous rubs. Two rubs I can highly recommend for ribs are Butcher BBQ Honey Rub and Rib Tickler. Both are ez finds via Google.

Are you removing the under membrane?

2 hrs of set time after applying rub should be more than sufficient but it might be worth a try to go 6 hours or over-night.

What brand of ribs are you using?

I don't know how old my wood is. I'm using wood from cookshack as well as wood I picked up from sportsman's warehouse.

I am definitely open to changing up the rubs I use for improved results.

I am removing the membranes when I can - sometimes they are near impossible to remove.

I typically purchase my ribs from Costco. I can't remember what brand they carry.
The more membranes you remove the easier it will become. Keep trying. There are plenty of videos on you tube about how to do it.

If you still can't get the membrane off cut "X"s in the membrane to allow rub and smoke penetration.

Get some wood chunks from a reputable vendor on the internet. I buy mine from vendors on eBay.

The amount of wood you are using would be too much for my taste, but that amount may suit your palate. Smokiness should be part of your flavor profile NOT the entire profile. I use 2.7 to 3.0 oz, and yes, I do weigh my wood chunks with a digital scale every time.

Keep good notes and make small changes. That's what the good cooks on this forum have been saying for years...because it will allow you to produce a consistently superior product.

I've learned my cooker over the last five years and produce excellent Que without even thinking about it anymore. It kind of becomes instinct after a while. You'll see.

Keep at it and you'll get it right.
I've used both spares and loin backs from Costco and never had a problem in removing the membrane - it comes off whole when pulled with a paper towel. Just pry up the corner with a table knife and grab it with a paper towel and pull. From Costco, I have to look carefully at the spares to get the meatiest package - I often spring for the St. Louis ribs just to save time. I think overall, BJ's has better meat, if you have the choice.
I don't want my comment about removing the membranes to be misinterpreted as I am unable to remove them. I was just making a general observation regarding the ribs I have purchased in the past (swift - costco).

The issue I have is that I find I have a lack of deep penetrating flavor and was hoping those using similar smokers could assist me in determining a new or other techniques to rectify my situation.
quote:
Originally posted by mootpoint:
I don't want my comment about removing the membranes to be misinterpreted as I am unable to remove them. I was just making a general observation regarding the ribs I have purchased in the past (swift - costco).

The issue I have is that I find I have a lack of deep penetrating flavor and was hoping those using similar smokers could assist me in determining a new or other techniques to rectify my situation.

Add more wood and let the smoker start smoking before adding the ribs. Like any pit, the longer it has had time to accumulate black on the walls the more smoke flavor it will produce.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:

Add more wood and let the smoker start smoking before adding the ribs. Like any pit, the longer it has had time to accumulate black on the walls the more smoke flavor it will produce.

I haven't tried that approach. I put the ribs in a cold smoker and set the temp. I usually see smoke in less than 10 minutes.
I don't think I am having an issue with the amount of smoke I am getting on my ribs...

My issue is that the outside of my ribs taste good for the most part, but the inner portions are under seasoned. It's possible that the rubs I have been using have a lower salt content and I simply need to add more salt. I've also contemplated employing a 24 hour equilibrium brine (salt & water only), then proceed as I have in the past.
quote:
My issue is that the outside of my ribs taste good for the most part, but the inner portions are under seasoned.

Smoke will only penetrate so far, same with rubs, nothing (except for curing) will "penetrate to the bone". So, I'm not sure what your expecting, but with normal Q the idea is to get the bark for flavor, rub/smoke for the outer 1/4 to 1/2" and then the middle is just normal flavor.

You can inject to get deeper flavor.

marinade will not penetrate all the way (only outer edges)

brining will penetrate given enough time.
Start with the brand of ribs. Use pumped to the gills Hormels from Super Target or the pumped Moist n Tender models from Kroger.
Jump to the wood. If the wood has no bark on in it..its not going to have any flavor. Might as well be cooking with card board boxes.
Rub? Headcountry is my favorite so it must be the best..lol.
Brane em and St. Lousize em..mustard slather..rub them bag up in non scented trash bags and let them set overnight in the ice box or ice chest. Cook meat side down the entire time..no flipping or flopping allowed..and dont spill the juice which collects on the bone side. When done (I test with tear test but some likes to poke with toothpicks) wrap them in foil and stick in the inuslated hot box for at least an hour..3 hours is best. Pull them out of the foil and back in the heat and hit them with "ONE" swipe of a spicy/sweet glaze on each side. Cut them into individual bones and dust them off on all side with more rub. Walk to the front and get the money..lol.
Try brining the ribs for 6 hours or even overnight to get flavor all the way through the ribs. I use a simple rub, to a gallon of water add 3/4 cup kosher salt, 3/4 cup molasses, 4 cloves garlic minced, 1 onion chopped, 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper. Heat up until everything is dissolved. Cool and cover the ribs to brine and refrigerate. Putting the ribs and brine in a Zip-Loc bag makes everything easier.
quote:
Originally posted by bigwheel:
... Use pumped to the gills Hormels from Super Target or the pumped Moist n Tender models from Kroger.

Well, if your goal is hammy, mushy tasting ribs with that flavor all the way in the meat, then yes, buy those. Is it a method? Sure. Rudy's (chain in Texas) sells ribs that have been enhanced (I know I've seen the cases in the Food Service company warehouse).

Not to disagree... oh, well then yes I am. Paying someone else for what amounts to 15 to 25% of the food cost for salty water is not the best plan.

If you want that taste, buy regular ribs and then inject or brine the ribs with your own stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
quote:
... Use pumped to the gills Hormels from Super Target or the pumped Moist n Tender models from Kroger.

Well, if your goal is hammy, mushy tasting ribs with that flavor all the way in the meat, then yes, buy those. Is it a method? Sure. Rudy's (chain in Texas) sells ribs that have been enhanced (I know I've seen the cases in the Food Service company warehouse).

Not to disagree... oh, well then yes I am. Paying someone else for what amounts to 15 to 25% of the food cost for salty water is not the best plan.

If you want that taste, buy regular ribs and then inject or brine the ribs with your own stuff.

Totally agree Smokin, paying for salt water is something I could never understand.
quote:
Originally posted by oldcrow:
quote:
Jump to the wood. If the wood has no bark on in it..its not going to have any flavor. Might as well be cooking with card board boxes.

This is what stood out to me. Is this true?

Depends on who you talk to, cookshacks are different then other smokers. They are very efficient smokers so someone who doesn't use a CS may have a different opinion. To me the only time I notice a difference is when I cold smoke, bark can be bitter when cold smoking. If it is a long smoke like butts or brisket I really can't tell the difference. But on short smokes with the small amount of of wood that CS's use some can pick up the bitter notes from the bark. Try them both and decide for yourself.
Lot of good cooks with lots of tips.It like to wore me out.

Folks that tried to teach me,always say you can't wind up with any better meat than you start with.

If cooking around the neighborhood,we stay pretty simple.

IBP spares are pretty easy to find.We get the largest 3 packs we can find,around 12 lbs,never frozen.Trim to St. Louis,peel the membrane.

Use some fresh wood,pecan,hickory,apple,etc.
Coat with some brown sugar,and then whatever rub you have fresh,like Obie cue Sweet n'heat,Smokin' Guns Hot,Head Country,
Williams Rib Tickler.Some areas of the country like to mix a glaze of original Blueshog/Blueshog Red-if you really like it.
Some like Head Country with a little honey and a pinch of cayenne.
Cook at 275º,until your favorite done test.

K.I.S.S.Try not to overthink it and just try to accent the pork.

Hope this helps a little.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Lot of good cooks with lots of tips.It like to wore me out.

Folks that tried to teach me,always say you can't wind up with any better meat than you start with.

If cooking around the neighborhood,we stay pretty simple.

IBP spares are pretty easy to find.We get the largest 3 packs we can find,around 12 lbs,never frozen.Trim to St. Louis,peel the membrane.

Use some fresh wood,pecan,hickory,apple,etc.
Coat with some brown sugar,and then whatever rub you have fresh,like Obie cue Sweet n'heat,Smokin' Guns Hot,Head Country,
Williams Rib Tickler.Some areas of the country like to mix a glaze of original Blueshog/Blueshog Red-if you really like it.
Some like Head Country with a little honey and a pinch of cayenne.
Cook at 275º,until your favorite done test.

K.I.S.S.Try not to overthink it and just try to accent the pork.

Hope this helps a little.

Yep! Seems like you made it simple and good to me. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Wilber:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
quote:

Totally agree Smokin, paying for salt water is something I could never understand.

Well I feels yalls pain on not liking pumped ribs. Felt that way about them myself and even spent an entire comp season driving a good ways across town in search of unpumped IBPS..Swifts etc. What I found at the contests was Hormels were kicking my coola. So instead of fighting I switched. Immediately started adding to the cooking fund. Caught Hormels on sale at Target for .99 and bought 50 bucks worth. The 50 buck investment turned itself into around a thousand on the come back. So yall do what you think best. I can only tell what I found. If your eating it..do what you want. If you go comp..get the Hormels or the Moist n Tender from Kroger. Apparently the judges like the flavor. lol.
Mootpoint,
One more recommendation: Get in on the next Rub & Sauce Exchange. You'll be guaranteed to get some good stuff to try! In the meantime, you could go to: thekansascitybbqstore.com and ask about their top ten sellers. Remember, it's more about the journey than the destination!

I guess that's two more recommendations, & one cliche'! Wink
Personally, I really like the taste of unadulterated pork, ribs, butts, etc. I use a rub and the smoke while cooking to enhance that flavor, certainly not to replace it. Once an Amerique is seasoned, you need very little extra wood per smoke to get that flavor. As to some external flavor penetrating to the bone, I'm not sure why the pork flavor isn't enough. Just my $.02.
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
Moot, gotta say...

You've received some great advice here and you keep coming back with more and more questions.

What is it EXACTLY that you're trying to achieve smoke, flavor, texture, etc. wise?

MaxQ,
moot point: an issue that is open to discussion to which there is no satisfactory answer.
Joe M Wink
quote:
Did I catch maxq on an off day?

Nah, he's just sayin' that you need to pick a method and master it. Then change if you want. There's more solid advice on this site than any other one out there (and he's a big part of it). With too many cooks in the smoker you end up with a mess!
The nice thing about CS Smokers is it's hard to make bad Q. So enjoy the practice runs!
quote:
Did I catch maxq on an off day?

I think that was the nicer side of Max saying," talk is all good but a person might learn more from just cooking something."

Get you a small bottle of Smokin' guns hot rub and Williams rib tickler. Use enough of both just to cover the meat, let set for 30 minutes or so and cook them at 250* for 3 hrs. Check for doneness with a toothpick, when about done put a small amount of your favorite sauce that has been cut with a little of AJ. Let it tack up for 20 minutes and see what you think.

When you run into problems with this, then ask a specific question and Max will be one of the first folks to help. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.