Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by mootpoint:
Did I catch maxq on an off day?

Not at all; didn't intend to come off as being smug.

One of your original statements was:
I need some assistance with my (pork) ribs (spares, baby/loin backs). While the ribs usually come out tender, I find the flavor lacking. The smoke and/or rub flavoring doesn't penetrate the meat to the bone.

Had you been smoking with an FEC, I could saddle up to your statement regarding "lack of smoke" as the smoke profile of an Amerique vs the FEC is apples and oranges. I owned both a Smokette 009 and an AQ at one point. I never had an issue with lack of smoke flavor/penetration. In terms of wood usage, less is more given both the units. 2 oz was always enough wood to provide a generous amount of smoke flavor.

Flavor penetration...now that's a very subjective subject and one in which you've received much advice as per options and technique.

Comp cooks often build multiple layers of flavor using the "Trigg" method...pouching with numerous embellishments that do indeed penetrate to the bone. The goal is to WOW the judges with flavor. (sometimes to the detriment of tasting ANY pork flavor Smiler )

Folks who cook comp and backyard, of which I'm one, often prefer a more simple (K.I.S.S.) approach, which Tom elaborated upon. It's fair to say that the goal is meat flavor that's complimented by the additional flavors of a rub and perhaps a smidgen of sauce. To this end Tom's 100% dead on when he says the final product will be no better than the meat you're staring with. In the case of pork ribs (any kind) selecting the most optimal cuts (decent, uniform thickness with generous fat striation is what I key in on) is paramount to a great end result.

Again I ask, what is it that you're looking to achieve?
If ya want something to wakeup your tastebuds, give your ribs a coat of a sweet rub, like BPS Sweet Money, Butcher BBQ Honey Rub, SM Sweet Seduction, etc. Let it sit for a while then give them a good coating of Oakridge Habanero Death Dust. Then when you're ready to sauce, hit it with some Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

That combo is sure to get your attention.
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
quote:
Originally posted by mootpoint:
Did I catch maxq on an off day?

Not at all; didn't intend to come off as being smug.

One of your original statements was:
I need some assistance with my (pork) ribs (spares, baby/loin backs). While the ribs usually come out tender, I find the flavor lacking. The smoke and/or rub flavoring doesn't penetrate the meat to the bone.

Had you been smoking with an FEC, I could saddle up to your statement regarding "lack of smoke" as the smoke profile of an Amerique vs the FEC is apples and oranges. I owned both a Smokette 009 and an AQ at one point. I never had an issue with lack of smoke flavor/penetration. In terms of wood usage, less is more given both the units. 2 oz was always enough wood to provide a generous amount of smoke flavor.

Flavor penetration...now that's a very subjective subject and one in which you've received much advice as per options and technique.

Comp cooks often build multiple layers of flavor using the "Trigg" method...pouching with numerous embellishments that do indeed penetrate to the bone. The goal is to WOW the judges with flavor. (sometimes to the detriment of tasting ANY pork flavor Smiler )

Folks who cook comp and backyard, of which I'm one, often prefer a more simple (K.I.S.S.) approach, which Tom elaborated upon. It's fair to say that the goal is meat flavor that's complimented by the additional flavors of a rub and perhaps a smidgen of sauce. To this end Tom's 100% dead on when he says the final product will be no better than the meat you're staring with. In the case of pork ribs (any kind) selecting the most optimal cuts (decent, uniform thickness with generous fat striation is what I key in on) is paramount to a great end result.

Again I ask, what is it that you're looking to achieve?

That "pork flavor" comment got me thinking of some online lectures I used to get from my dearly deceased pal named Joe Ames. His theory was our pigs and chickens are brought to slaughter so early and are so lean they dont have any flavor. Thats why the pork is flavorless and tastes like chicken..lol. Paraphrasing on some that.
quote:
Originally posted by bigwheel:

That "pork flavor" comment got me thinking of some online lectures I used to get from my dearly deceased pal named Joe Ames. His theory was our pigs and chickens are brought to slaughter so early and are so lean they dont have any flavor. Thats why the pork is flavorless and tastes like chicken..lol. Paraphrasing on some that.

There's a good discussion about this on the FAB website. Joe Ames invented FAB for this very reason. As previously stated, Butcher BBQ & Kosmo's are alternate contenders in this arena.

http://www.theingredientstore.com/fab/faq/
Last edited by joem
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
If ya want something to wakeup your tastebuds, give your ribs a coat of a sweet rub, like BPS Sweet Money, Butcher BBQ Honey Rub, SM Sweet Seduction, etc. Let it sit for a while then give them a good coating of Oakridge Habanero Death Dust. Then when you're ready to sauce, hit it with some Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

That combo is sure to get your attention.

Love the death dust! Got some Blair's nitro Death Rain recently its rocks as well!
Just to tag onto bigwheel's pumped ribs.I never was taught how to get my flavor mixng,etc right by folks that tried to teach me.

That said,an early member of our forum'Bill and the Dixie chicks was one of the best hot cooking yardbirds with the Fe s,old and new models.

Cooked some with Bill and against him a bunch.He always said"there ain't no secrets left in bbq,just if you can cook it'
He used Hormel's pumped loinbacks his years as an MIM cook.As those that cook that circuit know everyone cooks 18 racks of loinbacks for a minimum.
When I cooked with him,he shared that what kept him in the top five national for MIM was them.Albertson's was the only one that carried them regular.While on the circuits,I bought every case I could find for him and took them to the next comp for him.

At first I figured I hadn't figured out "the tricks" that everybody looks for.Took me a couple years to figure out maybe he was a better cook than me. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
There's a good discussion about this on the FAB website. Joe Ames invented FAB for this very reason. As previously stated, Butcher BBQ & Kosmo's are alternate contenders in this arena.

http://www.theingredientstore.com/fab/faq/

Another one that I'm going to try on my next rack of ribs is #porkmafia Sweet Pink. Got a small sample packet at a local BBQ comp this past weekend.

https://www.bbqproshop.com/sweetpink.html
A nice old boy named Doug Ritter use to kick everybody's bootie using Harley's Sweet Rub on Ribs. Think he has his own version nowadays or did last I checked. Harley's is very good for them who aint tried it. He also imported real mesquite wood from S. Texas. The mesquite we get around here smells like burning gym socks.

http://www.harleysseasoning.com/

Here is Doug and Carols web site.

http://www.rittersbbq.com/
Last edited by bigwheel
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
I agree completely with the leanness and lack of flavor comments. I've found that heritage breeds like Berkshire (kurobuta) are really much better than most US retail pork. If you've never had Berkshire pork belly, you absolutely have to try it. Just have to pretend it doesn't hurt when the cashier rings it up.

Thanks for the tip on the Heritage Pork. Have heard it mentioned but never managed to bump into any. Not that us old retired folks could afford to buy any..lol.
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
If you've never had Berkshire pork belly, you absolutely have to try it. Just have to pretend it doesn't hurt when the cashier rings it up.

http://www.heritagepork.com/berkshire_pork_heritage

Ouch! About $11/lb. for pork belly. Will have to think about that one. Although the SL spares don't seem to be too outrageous.

Maybe Chaplain Bill will give us a "Friends & Family Discount? Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.