Skip to main content

I have been calling my local Safeway markets looking to smoke some beef ribs. The standard answer seems to be we will have some in a few days. I need them now. We have a Winco Foods near Costco. I rarely go into Winco as all our meat, poultry and fish are gotten at Costco. They however, do not carry beef bones. On a whim I went over to Winco and lo and behold, they had oodles of beef bones and also carry skirt steak which I was also looking for to try some fajitas. Wow. I am now a Winco believer. Gonna smoke the beef ribs tomorrow after I dry rub them. What a discovery. Just sayin'.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

See if you can find a local Mexican market. WAY cheaper than the big grocery stores. Local Mexican place has short ribs this week for $3.99/lb., Mariano's $6.49/lb.

Skirt steak depends... The Mexican places weigh it first, then trim it of fat. Grocery trims it first and charges a higher price. I usually get it at the Mexican place and trim it myself.
Good thought. Never occurred to me to check on a Mexican market. Actually wasn't looking for short ribs. I was looking for the roast beef ribs which are longer. After trimming the ribs and dry rubbing them, I noticed on the cryovac bag that they were "Select", quality. Wonder if that will make a difference when smoked. We do have an Asian market locally that has short ribs and also pork belly. Really fresh and competitively priced. The pork belly has me thinking about making bacon, but a little more work than I am looking for. And, how much bacon can the two of us eat? Anyway, thanks for the thought.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.