Skip to main content

Lately my ribs have been finishing on the darkish side, kind of a grey black color. They taste fine and come off the bone correctly. Mostly a presentation issue I guess. Could it be the sugar or brown sugar in the rub or maybe the wood. I am using a good quality usually maple or hichory wood. Kind of a generic home made rub with brown sugar and a few other spices. I don't think anything unusual. CS025 electric smoker. Costco loinbacks 275 for 2 plus hours pending toothpick test for doness,
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My ribs usually turn out dark, but I never gave it much thought since they have such great taste, moisture and bark.

Some of your ribs have that rich red/mahogany color that I've always admired. So I'll give the lower temp and and/or turbonado sugar a try in an effort to improve my presentation. Might as well add the bling to the zing. Cool
Like Smokin' always preaches,make one small change at a time and write it down.Then we always know how we got where we were going.

Good tips from experienced cooks above and they all seem in the same direction.

The only one I can speak personally to above is my team mate Ribdog and I've had the pleasure of walking up front a bunch of times with him to collect the money.I've always wished my ribs could be consistently like his. Cool
I haven't clowned around with Hickory much but have some chums who claim it can give meat a dark color at least on an offset log burner. Know from experience Cheery can turn stuff real black. Unless your cooking real hot I don't think the brown sugar is the culprit. To be on the safe side it might be good to move over to Turbinado sugar..aka Sugar in the Raw. Supposed to have a higher burn temp.
Question.

How did it taste?

I use BS all the time at 275 with zero issue (I don't use foil as you know).

Was it DBS or LBS? (Dark or light)
White sugar
How much Paprika?

Each of those can have an affect.

For me, at the amounts we are using wood, it's not likely the culprit by the type of wood but could be by the amount of the wood.
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDF:
Seems like you guys post rib pics and many of them have that pretty red color. Just saying Smiler

Okay, about 1 a year I like to let a little secret out and here's mine. I won a LOT of $$$ on the circuit for my pork and the color came out perfect. No, I'm not giving you my recipe, that's more than one secret (no butter, sugar wrapped in foil either).

The secret to color is a two step.

Step one: cherry wood

Step two. Answer me this, what rating is your Paprika? It matters and most people don't even know about it.

See below:

quote:
Paprika is normally classified by its extractable color (see ASTA Color below). Paprika with a brighter red color will normally have a higher extractable ASTA Color (measured in units) and is more expensive. Lighter color product (more orange-red) will have a lower ASTA Color rating.

Available Qualities:
ASTA Color Minimum 160 (160-180)
ASTA Color Minimum 140 (140-160)
ASTA Color Minimum 120 (120-140)
ASTA Color Minimum 100 (100-120)
ASTA Color Minimum 80 (80-100)
ASTA Color Minimum 60 (60-80)

source: http://occidentalfoods.com/paprika.htm
quote:
Okay, about 1 a year I like to let a little secret out and here's mine.

OK, Smokin - if I have to wait a year for one of your secrets. I'm going to be a loooong time getting better at this! Smiler

Yeah, LOTS of $$$ means something, but couldn't you figure out which "secrets" it's ok to let go? "Extractable color" of paprika?? Hell, I thought I was just using it for flavor! You have obviously made this a career, unlike some of us who are done with theirs and doing a very rewarding hobby. Glad you're around.
Lots of good comments and suggestions from some GREAT cooks, BUT.........

quote:
Lately my ribs have been finishing on the darkish side, kind of a grey black color. They taste fine and come off the bone correctly. Mostly a presentation issue I guess. Could it be the sugar or brown sugar in the rub or maybe the wood. I am using a good quality usually maple or hichory wood. Kind of a generic home made rub with brown sugar and a few other spices. I don't think anything unusual. CS025 electric smoker. Costco loinbacks 275 for 2 plus hours pending toothpick test for doness,

What has changed in your process?
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDF:
...The wood was 2 pieces one hichory and one maple they are about 4 inches long and 3/4 inches square I bought on the internet. Very clean and bark free.

Weigh them if you can. That sounds like it could be a bit of smoke. Weight will be easier to measure.
If you remember I was whinning about the dark color of my Ribs. I was in a pinch and ran out of my ususal rub (homemade). I went to the grocery and bought Famous Dave's Rib rub. The ribs came out a very nice reddish color, so I am thinking it must have been my rub. I use some of the recipes found on the forum but use them mostly as a guide and tend to substitute at times and I usually make enough for several cooks. So I guess one of the rub ingredients was the cause but I still can't say which one for sure.
For me, I don't think sugar is the culprit at these temps. Until you are cooking say 275 or so. I think some of the other rub ingredients are as much to blame.

The rub ingredients are a big part of it. If it's color you want look at the ingredient list. I dislike paprika because, like salt, I think a lot of rubs use it as filled, but...

Paprika comes in ASTA grades I mentioned above and a lot of rubs use the cheapest you can find. Higher grades will give you a better color.

The ribs on my FB main page are done with a rub that I used higher grade paprika.

Oh, and another secret? Use only Cherry wood on pork, it does give it color.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.