Skip to main content

I have been using the following recipe for smoking baby back ribs in my cookshack but I am really not getting that "fall off the bone" state that I would like to achieve with my ribs, does anyone have a suggestion?

My process is as follows:

Remove skin from inside of ribs
Lightly Brush olive oil on both sides of ribs
Apply rub and brown sugar on both sides
cover and place in refrig for 24 hours
Place in Cookshack at 220 degrees for 9 hours,
with the last hour putting the BBQ on the ribs and wrapping them in foil

Is there a need to rotate the racks of ribs periodically during the cooking process?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

EagleMan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Eagleman,

With my SM009 - that 9 hours would be WAY too long at that temp. Baby/loin backs usually only take about 5 hours.

My suggestion would be to smoke at 225 for 2 - 2 1/2 hours, open and wrap ribs in foil and maybe spritz with apple juice for another 2 hours, then unwrap, glaze/sauce and go another hour. Then, just see if they're tender enough, if not, go a little longer. By spritzing the ribs, and foiling at that point, you'll actually steam the ribs for a couple hours.

I'd double check your smoker with a good calibrated/accurate thermometer - maybe you think you're at 220 but you're way lower. AND, don't open the door except when you HAVE to.

That's my only suggestions!

Thanks,
C'Nooga
I was just about to ask the same question: Can you overcook baby backs?

My first set went for about 4 hours at 225F. They tasted great but weren't quite done. They were just shy of "competition-done". They weren't even close to "fall-off-the-bone done"

My first set went 11 hours at 225F due a lack of sleep. They were great! They had excellent flavor and texture. They were easily "fall-off-the-bone" done.

My second set was this week. They went 7 hours at 225F. They were great. One or two of the thicker parts were "competition done". The rest were fully done.

So, is my Smokette just too slow? Several other things have also been longer than expected.

Or can ribs just be cooked for a long time without any problems?
There are a bunch of variables.

Injected,previously frozen,weight,age of hog,etc.

I have seen loinbacks that had inch wide bones and previously frozen that took 8 hrs to tender up.

I wouldn't leave rub on but an hour,or so,because it can cure the meat -like ham.

If they are well under two pound slabs,that is about your max weight for most good loinbacks.

The CS is a very moist cooker and many of us open the door to let moisture out.

I personally would use foil only as a last resort,after I learned to cook without it.

Try putting them curve side up,and cook at about 250º for three hrs.

Open the door,flip them over,spray with apple juice and leave them in for 1 1/2 hrs.

If they need more cooking,put them back in for 45 mins.

This should get you close enough to make the adjustments on your next cook.

Hope this helps a little.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.