Skip to main content

Hello all, Matty here. Im new to Cookshack but not to barbecuing. Ive been using a WSM with great success but decided to try a cookshack! The smoker has been seasoned and is ready to go.. I received my Amerique two weeks ago but the horrible weather in the Northeast would not allow for outdoor cooking. 40 inches of snow will put a stop to many things! So I'm Smoking 3 racks of St. Louis cut ribs today, Memphis style. I will be using 2.5 oz of fresh peach and pecan wood. I picked up a cryovac 3 pack from Costco last night. I immediately trimmed, removed the membrane and rubbed them. I plan on setting the temp at 226 and cooking for 3.5 hours and then an 1.5 hold. Wish me luck and any advice is appreciated!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I didn't see the weight? You gave a time and temp but I'm concerned if you just go the time then straight to hold they may or may not be done.

Until you've done it a lot, you just can't guess on time.

Do you know how much each rack weighed?

I would use a doneness test, like Pags suggest (my toothpick test) to see if they're done at the time it goes to hold
Thanks Smokin! I plan on buying a food scale that can handle the weight of the ribs. as these three came in a package together i only had the total weight and not the individual weight. The 3 racks were all slightly different sizes. the ribs all came out great but im sure i can improve. the smallest rack was a little overdone, and of the two larger racks one was perfect and the other could have used a little time maybe. but overall i was very impressed by the quality that came out of the AQ. I cooked them for 5 hours at 225. i used the toothpick test to test done-ness and they all seemed ready to me! I kept a cook journal as well. Did i read correctly that you start the ribs meat side down?

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
I didn't see the weight? You gave a time and temp but I'm concerned if you just go the time then straight to hold they may or may not be done.

Until you've done it a lot, you just can't guess on time.

Do you know how much each rack weighed?

I would use a doneness test, like Pags suggest (my toothpick test) to see if they're done at the time it goes to hold
I just finished the first bb backs in the Amerique. They were 2.31# and 2.28# each. I bought them before I read on the forum that 3# are ideal. Smoked them for 3 hours at 250* and checked with toothpick. They weren't quite ready. Checked again in another 30 minutes and they were done. Took them out, wrapped them in foil and put back in for 30 more minutes. Didn't add any liquids or sauce. They were moist, tender and just the right amount of smoke flavor. The night before we put rub on them in the fridge. Used one 2&1/2 ounce chunk of hickory. I've done St. Louis cut the same way but they took an about one hour longer.
Using the Cookshack smoker makes it easy to get excellent results. Everybody loved the bb backs!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.