Skip to main content

I want to gift someone ribs. Specifically, St Louis style ribs that I will smoke. Lets just say, these people have no time to cook during the week (both parents work plus 3 kids etc).

I want to make the ribs and freeze them. I will give it to them frozen. They can toss it in the freezer and use it when they want it.

My plan
1. make my ribs as usual
2. let cool to room temp
3. vacuum racks individually
4. Freeze
5. give them away with instructions

Instructions for friends
6. place on kitchen counter in the morning to defrost
7. In the evening remove from plastic
8. apply some store bought BBQ sauce with brush
9. wrap in foil
10. put in oven 200 degrees for 1 hr
11. optional - remove from foil after an hour and caramelize by placing in broiler 1 min each side.

Anyone have any suggestions or know a better way to do it?

I have not made the ribs yet so anything goes here. Normally I do St Louis 225 degrees about 4 to 5 hrs, no sauce, no foil, rub is sugar heavy, I use meatheads magic dust rub recipe.

thanks in advance

El
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I agree with Mr. T. No sauce when reheating, unless the folks think good BBQ must have sauce, because at this point the sauce will overwhelm everything. I find that reheating in foil in a slow oven means no broiler treatment is necessary. I have done this many times for myself. The ribs will not quite have the same flavor and "freshness" of right out of the smoker, but will still be much better than store bought or even the local BBQ joint.
I refrigerate overnight before vacuum sealing.

Go straight from freezer to a 9x13 pan and fill with boiling water. Change water at 10 minutes. Ribs are hot & ready in 5 more minutes.

If the vac bags are oven safe you can reheat in the bag on a cookie sheet @225 for an hour.

No need to leave on counter all day. Safety First!
After I smoke the ribs should I wrap them in plastic or foil while they cool down?

I made some ribs last night. I pulled them out of the smoker at 11 PM and placed them on the kitchen counter. At 5 AM I went to vacuum them after they were laying on the counter 6 hrs. ! If you steam them or boil in a bag after freezing, will it re-hydrate?

El
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
quote:
Originally posted by El:
I made some ribs last night. I pulled them out of the smoker at 11 PM and placed them on the kitchen counter. At 5 AM I went to vacuum them after they were laying on the counter 6 hrs.

Leaving raw or cooked food at room temp for 6 hrs is an invitation to food poisoning.

I'm with MaxQ. After 2 hours cooling I would have put them in the refrigerator SINGLE LAYER - NOT STACKED overnight. Vacuum seal the next day. At that point freeze if not using in the next 2-3 days. Cabelas has bags that hold full racks or make your own out of the rolls. I leave mine in foil to cool. If you don't foil your ribs, microwave safe plastic wrap would be ok for the overnight chill.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.