Skip to main content

Interesting question, I have a 3 pack of ribs in the freezer, I was wondering if I could thaw in the fridge for two days to separate/repack and then refreeze? The ribs were cryo packed well before their expiration date. Everyone say not to but my thinking is if you keep it in the safe zone (37-38) while defrosting and it's still within the expireation date whats the difference? except maybe to quality of meat ...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't think you will have a food safety issue as long as you keep it in the correct temp, just Quality. As ice crystals form when freezing then thawing it leaves pockets or holes in the meat as the natural moisture is lost. The more times you thaw and freeze the pockets get bigger which can dry out the meat when cooked. It will also change the texture of the finished product.
Last edited by wilber
I would vote for running some cold water on them puppies and prying out what you want with a clean screw driver or two. Done quite a few "shatter pack" ribs that stubbornly refused to shatter like that and didnt have any issues with the remainder. That might work better than a full thaw and refreeze. Or maybe an option to think about. Let us know what you decide. Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by bigwheel:
We do not favor leftover chicken or ribs in these parts. Now can heartily endorse the procedure for briskets and butts..chili..pintos..stew soup or stoup..goulash..gumbo etc. The Lord intended ribs
..barnyard avians..fish..frogs etc to be eaten fresh off the fire. Let us get a grip here.

Get a grip?? Glad I don't "live in those parts". The lord doesn't have anything to do with my leftovers. What type of Cookshack do you smoke on again?
Yep..smart thinking on that. My good freezer zonked a few years back and been unmotivated to use the one on the ice box too much. Portion control can be a biotch for two eaters..lol. I am going to buy one of them bag sucker gizmos one of these day. I got a pal who loans me his sometimes but he always nervous that I will not bring it back etc. What do you reckon is his problem?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.