Skip to main content

Boy sure wish I had a smoker that I didn't have to babysit the fire in the freezing 10 degree weather we've got. Oh wait, I do....

Couple slabs smoking away, trying some new rubs that I bought for the exchange.

Took a little longer than usual, probably because these ribs were quite a bit thicker than normal. 235 for 4:45 minutes with a couple of chunks of peach wood. Usually done around the 4:15 mark, but the toothpick never lies.

TSS Honey Bullet on two half slabs and Sweet Hot & Lowdown on the other two with Shed Sauce and Holy Smokes sauce on one of each.

YUM!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by mootpoint:
Andy,

If it's not an imposition would you describe your method and recipe? I have an Amerique on the way and your ribs are some of the best looking ones I've seen (at least to me). I hope they taste half as good as they look...

Basically follow the Ribs 101, check the post at the top of the ribs forum. I remove the membrane from the back, apply a coat of rub to the back, let it sit a while till it starts to dissolve a bit then flip over and apply a coat of rub to the top. Let that sit for maybe 10 minutes then apply a second coat of rub. Let sit one more time and apply a final coat then into the smoker. For loin backs I smoke at 235, for spares I smoke at 275. Couple chunks of wood, I mix it up, sometimes peach, sometimes apple or cherry. When first starting, you don't want to use too much wood and over smoke them.

I'll start checking for doneness at around 3 1/2 hours or so. Use a toothpick, poke it in between the rib bones, once it slides through like butter, they're done. About 20 or so minutes before I think they'll be done I'll slather with sauce. Give it a little while to set and give it a couple more coats of sauce.

And above all, take notes. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask, plenty of people much more knowledgeable than I are around to help. You'll love your smoker! As will all your friends.
quote:
Originally posted by mootpoint:
Thanks for the info. I really like how your ribs have that pretty reddish color rather than the darker brown color some get.... Is that due to the rub you chose or the smoke wood selection?

My experience is yes to both. I use a rub with a lot of paprika and smoke with cherry pellets. The sauce will also affect color. I'm sure AndyJ will come along and weigh in.
I agree with Joe, I think both have something to do with it. I seem to recall that fruit wood will give meat more of a reddish color and rubs with more sugar in them will tend to get much darker. Paprika is used mostly for color, unless you use the hot Hungarian paprika which actually has some flavor to it. Also, I think the amount of smoke will affect the color.

Hopefully some people more knowledgeable than me will weigh in as well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.