Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok, so this post also got me to make a meatloaf again. I agree smoked meatloaf is so very good! I share my experience. Since it was getting late in the afternoon and I was in a hurry, I took a shortcut using the recipe from the Lipton Beefy Onion Soup package. I also added a can of Rotel (diced tomatoes & green chilies), and used BBQ sauce instead of catsup to try to change thins up a bit. I had a little trouble with temp probe readings as I think it was always in one of those little tomato or chili bits giving cooler readings than if in the meat. After smoking for a couple hours I glazed with brown sugar in BBQ sauce just before pulling it out.

It looked great, and also tasted great!! But alas, all those little embedded tomato & chilies bits made it fall apart when trying to slice, so it was broken chunks on the dinner plate. After cooling overnight in refrigerator, slicing it next day for sandwiches proved fruitless as it still just broke into chunks. For a sandwich, I think it would have required melted cheese on both pieces of bread and careful, level handling to not have a lap full of little meatloaf chunks. I instead opted for an open face sandwich with gravy.

Yes, the recipe used two eggs as a binder, I think just too many bits of tomatoes & chilies made it just too loose for good slicing. It had great taste, just not good "presentation" (which I don't really care about anyways). Lesson learned, is 1 can of Rotel with just 2# of burger may be too much for that mix. Just wanted to share my experiment.
Last edited by olysmokes

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.