Skip to main content

As most know Tri-Tips on the east coast are almost impossible to find, and if you do they are in the $6/7 doller p/lb. range. Today I found out that Costco's carry them, but do not put them in the display case. Just knock on the window and ask for them. The only problem being they come in large cryocac's around 20 lbs., giving you 7 or 8 roasts per pack. Priced at $3.59 lb. Plan to Foodsaver individual roasts and put in deep freeze.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Glad you can get them. They're a favorite with my family. I buy them at Costco in 2 per pack, though they cost around $5 per pound. I've seen the large cryovacs--never bought one, though I probably should.

I saw your PM, figured I'd respond here. I like to start them out in my Smokette. I've grilled them on my kettle (with smoke) and I like them better started in the Cookshack. I keep the heat pretty low (I80 or so to start, which I may turn down as they approach the target temp) so they cook throughout (no thick crust of well-done) without going over 110 to 120 internal. Then I finish on a hot hot grill and rest.

Slice thin across the grain and pile on a garlic butter-toasted bun. Wow, it's so good.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.