Skip to main content

has anyone tried this.

I came across this website http://amazingribs.com/recipes...eakhouse_steaks.html

they claim that cooking a 1.5" steak at 225 until it reaches 115 and than reverse sear makes the best steak. they do incorporate a couple of steps that I already use- dry brine the steaks and don't add pepper until the end so it doesn't burn. so here is my plan
dry brine with kosher salt at least 4 hours and up to 24 on rack in refrig. season steaks with garlic granules and place in FEC at 225 with hickory pellets and have probe in steak to check temp and pull from smoker at 115. paint steak with clarified butter and reverse sear for about 3 minutes per side and paint again after flipping and add fresh ground pepper.

any thoughts?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is essentially how I do all of my steaks. Minus the dry brine.

A year ago I stopped eating Rib Eyes and switched to New York Strips. The flavor and texture suit me better. Don't get me wrong, I would still eat a rib eye if someone put it in front of me.

I salt and pepper my NY's and place them in the indirect side of my pg500. 225 degrees with hickory and pecan, or whatever else is in the hopper at the time. At internal temp of 120 I remove them and let rest while the smoker increases to 400 degrees. I then place them back above the direct side of the pg500 over flame and close the door. 1 1/2 minutes per side and they are medium rare to medium. Let rest again for about 15 minutes and serve. Outstanding every time.

My wife and I order seafood if we find ourselves at a steak place. We just are so dissapointed when we eat steak out. Or maybe it's the $50 price with no sides. Confused Big Grin
Padrefan I agree the $50 price is a reason to order something else but quite frankly they aren't nearly as good as mine. also you should try the dry brine sometime.

Qeu'n I don't think you could smoke freeze and use later. never tried it but never came across my mind either. I simply love a great steak and always look for ways to twink the process to improve the end result
We cooked a pair of 1 1/2" 18oz ribeyes tonight so I tried something different. Seasoned just like I always do, put them on the traeger at 225 until they reached about 110, quick finish on the cb36 to mark em up and take them to medium rare to medium.

They really looked nice (sorry forgot the pics again) but honestly, I didn't like the flavor quite as well as just grilling them at around 450F. I used a mix of hickory blend and mesquite blend. I don't think they were as moist and juicy as they usually turn out either.

Might be personal preference but I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

I find it interesting that he says you can get by salting the steaks way ahead of cooking. I will try this as well sometime but my experience has always been it dries out the meat by pulling out moisture and didn't do anything for flavor. Way back when I seasoned some brisket the night before I threw them on the smoker to save some time the next morning and they didn't turn out very well at all.

Just my 2 cents.
quote:
I find it interesting that he says you can get by salting the steaks way ahead of cooking

I'm a convert to dry brining. 2 or more hours before grilling I use kosher salt, about a teaspoon a side and sprinkle it on, then into the fridge uncovered on a rack. I notice the surface gets wet as the salt pulls moisture out then turns dry as the moisture/salt is absorbed back into the meat. Just doing that with no other seasoning amps up my ribeyes bigtime, and I get really good grill marks to boot.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.