Skip to main content

Today I'm doing a 16 pound choice chuck roll that I got at Sam's Club on my SM045. I've never cooked one before. I've read everything I could find on this forum and have decided to cook it whole instead of cutting it in half.
I took it out of the freezer about 15 hours ago but it's still mostly frozen. I was able to insert the temp probe without too much resistance.
I'm cooking it at 225 degrees. I figure it may take close to 24 hours but I'm in no rush. I think that I may put it in an aluminum pan once it get to about 160 degrees or at the 12 hour mark whichever comes first. Slathered it with mustard and Cookshack's brisket rub. Only had one piece of hickory left so I added some pecan.
I really hope I don't screw up this big expensive piece of heaven. Wish me luck!

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would be interested to know the grade of meat that Sam's Club sells. Recently went to Winco and bought some beef ribs and upon checking further the label said Select or better. It was suggested that Select is a fairly poor cut of meat to use. A better grade would be miniumu of Choice, although higher priced. For me, after having spent a fair amount on a smoker, it doesn't make sense to me to use a low grade of meat. I would also be interested in how you rate the finished product. Looks good.
A long time ago I did a Chuck Roll. Don't remember much about it except that it came out really good. Pulled beef. Kind of like a big chuck pot roast. I'll bet yours comes out good as well. Test it with a skewer and be patient. I do several chuck roasts a year for burritos and they always take longer than I think they should. I think to pan it or foil it is a good idea to prevent drying. I have a CS 025.
I learned from the fine cooks and chefs on these boards that your meat isn't going to take on any more smoke after internal reaches 145. I usually wait until 165 too. Seems to be right before the stall sets in. I take my "chucks" and place them in a foil pan, add some peppers, onions and some beef broth and cover tightly with foil. This will speed it up quite a bit. The end result will be some of the best pulled beef you have had. I pull at internal 200 or "butter" on the beef skewer test. Or 190 for sliced.

Love me some smoked chuckies! It's much more forgiving then a brisket I think. Enjoy!
Internal temp at 150 after 8.5 hours. Early in the cook I heard the infamous muffled bang. I was in the house when I heard it but it sounded powerful. I haven't opened the door to look inside but I'm pretty sure it was the wood exploding. Not the first time I've heard it. I think it may be this Weber bagged wood I bought from Home Depot. Maybe I'll look into getting my wood elsewhere.
Can't remember where it's at but someone posted a "Pepper Stout Beef" recipe that used chuck and it was verrrry good Smiler

When I do a chuck roll I usually cut some thick roasts out of it and smoke them instead of the whole thing at once. It can be difficult to get the thicker part done without over doing the thin part. The smaller pieces will speed up your process a bunch as well.

I love to smoke the 4-5# pieces to about 160 then wrap them (usually with onions, peppers and a bottle of beer) and then throw that in the oven to finish. I think I do that at 350 for another 3 hours or until it's tender.

If smoking all the way through, generally my finish temps are a little higher than like brisket. Around 205 is where I have found they shred good.

Grab some ciabatta buns, toast em up, and a little horseradish mayo and you will for sure founder on that Smiler
I have only tried a small part from the left side. It is really delicious. A little dry but that is expected on the ends. (The pic makes it look drier that it is). It has so much flavor. Not sure what I will do with it. I may freeze part of it and also try making some chili. I will post more pics and info as I continue to`explore this huge hunk of meat.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.