Skip to main content

I was wanting to do a reverse sear for a 5 lb prime beef tenderloin for Christmas Dinner. Here is what I was thinking of doing in my SM-25:

- set temp to 175 with a small chunk of Oak
- Let tenderloin smoke till internal temp is about 105-110
- Pull tenderloin and then put in Oven at 500 until getting a good sear without letting intenbal temp rise above my desired level of around 125

Will something like this work out or am I inviting disaster with my very expensive piece of meat ?

Anyone have any suggestions or hints ?

Thanks !
GF
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Holy Cow ! That was the best beef tenderloin I have ever had. Everyone at the dinner said the same thing as well. It was like butter. Cripsy outside "bark" with just a small brown ring around the very outside. The most of the way through was a beautiful medium rare. Here is what I ended up doing:

- fairly heavy coating of salt along with pepper and garlic powder
- Left sitting on a rack uncovered in the refrigerator for 10+ hours. Note you are supposed to be able to leave it like this for up to 2 or so days. Next time I will leave it for 24 hours minimum
- Smoked at 200 for about 2 hours. When the temp hit about 113 I lowered the temp to 150 and kind of held it at 113 for close to an hour as it was getting ahead of my schedule
- Pulled at 113, removed the string, covered with double sheet of heavy duty foil for around 20-30 minutes (waiting for the over to free and warm)
- 500 oven for 20 or so minutes with a rotate about half way through
- Pulled from oven at around 125 degrees

This turned out the most amazing beef tenderloin I have had. I also had made a mushroom oven wine sauce to go with it. Man oh man I wish it wasn't so expensive so I could do it again soon !!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.