Skip to main content

I do a Santa Maria style Tri-tip that my girls love. My eldest Daughter had Kona rubbed tri-tip at an event and said it was better than mine. I went searching on line for a Kona rub. So far I think it is a rub with Kona Coffee in it. She said that it had an Asian flavor. That would suggest it might have Chinese 5 Spice and Ginger. Do any of you have a Hawaiian dry rub, or have experience with Coffee, Chinese 5 Spice or Ginger in a dry rub? If not, I will forge ahead an let you know how it turns out.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sounds like your on your way to a good rub. I have done something similar, I have used coffee in a few different rubs. I like a finer grind on the beans and it doesn't take much. Gives a rub to me a deep complex flavor. On the Oriental side I did not use 5 spice but used some of its components. Star anise, Clove and fennel. I used some dehydrated powered pineapple along with a little sugar for sweetness. It was very good, but I never combined coffee with that particular rub. Looks like I know what I'm making this weekend!
I have a jar of old Hawaiian rub called "Da Kine Da Rub Kona Coffee Dry Rub and Seasoning Mix" made in Honolulu. It lists ingredients of "Hawaiian spice mix, Kona coffee, Maui raw cane sugar, and garlic salt." It's a little aged by now, but the aroma and taste of the coarse grind Kona coffee is still very evident with it's chocolate overtones, along with the sugar and garlic. If I had to guess on the "Hawaiian spice" I'd say some citrus and dried parsley. Just for info. It is (was) really good on pork and chicken. Never tried it on beef.
Oakridge "Black Ops" brisket rub contains Bolivian ground coffee as an ingredient. Some say it helps with bark formation. I've used it several times this summer and find it quite satisfactory.

A number of * chefs have been using coffee in their beef rubs...usually grilling cuts.

I've yet to concoct a coffee rub but if I did, the coffee would be finely ground and perhaps a medium-dark roast.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
I have a jar of old Hawaiian rub called "Da Kine Da Rub Kona Coffee Dry Rub and Seasoning Mix" made in Honolulu. It lists ingredients of "Hawaiian spice mix, Kona coffee, Maui raw cane sugar, and garlic salt." It's a little aged by now, but the aroma and taste of the coarse grind Kona coffee is still very evident with it's chocolate overtones, along with the sugar and garlic. If I had to guess on the "Hawaiian spice" I'd say some citrus and dried parsley. Just for info. It is (was) really good on pork and chicken. Never tried it on beef.

Info here:

http://www.ehow.com/list_7272193_hawaiian-spices.html
Joe, thanks for the link. I'm pretty sure my old jar of Da Kine rub doesn't have any Chinese five spice - none of those warm flavors. But garlic and ginger are a definite possibility. I don't use the rub anymore since it has lost most of it's oomph, and it was a gift from someone who picked it up in Hawaii. I've never seen it in a store. It is $5.95 a 4 oz jar at http://www.dakinehawaiian.net/products.html
My first try at the Hawaiian dry rub didn't turn out. I did find out that coffee rub is not bitter and gritty. I had a picture of eating instant coffee crystals. Pretty much, it was very sweet, and you couldn't taste anything of the other seasonings in the rub. I am kind of working from an area I don't go. Coffee, and "Hawaiian".

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.