Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Heat is your enemy, so I would use your baffle and the ice tray as Qnorth suggested. Turn on the smoker to 225 degrees and wait until you get a good amount of smoke going. I would shut off the smoker once you either achieve good smoke or your temp near the cheese approaches 90. With hard cheeses I usually can go to about 100, but I think you have to be extra careful with the gouda.

I have repeated this process twice and the smoke is definetly stronger after a second smoke. I would remove one after one round and keep the second one in there for the second round to see the difference and which you prefer.

Remember after a day in the fridge in a plastic bag the smoke will be stronger.
I use an Amerique for smoking cheese. I set temp to 150*, and turn it on for only about 17 minutes or so - just until I see smoke start to come out top opening. Don't wait until there is a lot of smoke coming out of vent to shut it off as there will be too much heat inside and melting the cheese is an issue. I use one chunk of wood and split it into smaller pieces. My preference is to use apple or cherry as they seem to give off less "soot". I usually let cheese sit in smoker at least one hour after turning heat off. Sometimes one cycle, sometimes two cycles. Depends on outside temp which greatly affects the starting temp of your smoker (best to do when cooler weather), the sizes of the cheese chunks, and on how much of a load I have in the smoker. Don't forget to wipe the cheese off with paper towel before wrapping with plastic wrap. The smoke flavor improves with time it spends in refrigerator.
I usually do around 50 pounds this time every year. I am only doing around 35 to 40 pounds this year. I will do Cheddar from medium to extra sharp, Pepper Jack, Swiss, and Gouda. I saw some Havarti at the store the other day. In the past I have done fresh Mozzarella, and Parmesan. I am using a 045 with the cold smoke baffle installed. I keep the baffle in the freezer. I use hickory chips, and put a pan of ice on top of the smoke baffle. I turn the smoker on (the 045 runs at high for the first 30 minutes), and watch for smoke out the vent. I never let it go longer than 15 minutes before turning the smoker off. I let the cheese site for at least an hour, and then turn it 1/4 turn and do it again. I like to see color on all sides of the cheese, so it gets 4 cycles. I do cut my cheese down a Baby brick will be cut into 8 pieces. When I do mozzarella, I wrap it in cheese cloth that has been soaked in water. The smoked cheese will all get vacuum sealed, as individual pieces, and are given away as Christmas presents. to friends and customers.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.