Skip to main content

not sure if this is the right section for this question but I will start here and see what happens. My wife has MS for the last 12 years and has been having more and more difficulty with all aspects of balance and just plain getting by. we have recently found a book the Wahls protocol which describes a diet that changed her life and want to see if it can make a difference. That said my wife loves my que but sugar is one of the main ingredients that she can no longer have. does anyone have non sugar recipes for ribs, pulled pork or for that matter most que that can be prepared by substituting sugar products. thanks in advance as my wife is my life.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

for those that aren't aware of MS here is a brief description.Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a potentially debilitating disease in which your body's immune system eats away at the protective sheath (myelin) that covers your nerves. Damage to myelin causes interference in the communication between your brain, spinal cord and other areas of your body. This condition may result in deterioration of the nerves themselves, a process that's not reversible.
Dr. Wahls has MS and was in a zero gravity wheel chair and developed this diet and is now riding a bike 20 miles a day. so we are giving it a shot and I figured the cooks in this forum would be a great source of ideas to come up with ideas to keep food tasting great. thanks again.
Prayers going upwards for your Bride. Now if she ever wants a pretty good sweetener which affects the blood sugar not a whit..mostly for coffee..tea..post toasties..table use etc. I would recommend food grade veggie based glycerine. It's 2/3 as sweet as table sugar and about the consistency of warmish honey. Has zero aftertaste unlike it's counter parts. NOW Brand is the best in my humble opinion. Its pretty pricey at the health food shoppes but aint too bad on line. Its also good for your skin.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods...sHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I hope everything works out for her. I have many friends with MS and it is amazing how it effects some compared to what it does to others.

As for sugar sub I have been using Xylitol and pure maple syrup or honey or agave nectar and some molasses.

threw together a nice sauce the other night.

15oz can tomato sauce
2 T molasses Used Blackstrap but you could do full flavor
2 T Red Wine Vinegar
1T Lea N Perrins Whatsthatheresauce
2 T Pure Maple syrup, I buy it about a mile up the road from a family that makes it.
2 T Yellow Mustard Used Frenches
2 T of the rub I used on some ribs the other day. It was on the salty side so I figured I wouldnt need any extra.
1/2 C Xylitol I guess one could use whatever sugar sub they want here. I would stay away from the aspartame and saccharin for cooking.

Put this all in a 1 qt nonstick saucepan over low heat and whisk it up cooked and whisk occasionally until I had the consistency I wanted I found from tasting along the way that as it cooked the sweetness became a bit more prevalent.
that looks fantastic and I will try it. My wife's MS has been the Relapsing-Remitting which if you are going to have it is the least harmful. that said she has been blind on occasion, had attacks that require steroids to stop the attack and in the last year her balance has been severely affected. so this new diet approach seems more than worth the effort and I knew this forum would be a good source of info. you are all so willing to help no matter the cause and that is a rare quality anymore. perhaps I can (with all your help) make a small difference for MS patients as it is a crippling disease that has no know cure.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.