Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I decided to do a prime rib for 4. Picked up a nice looking choice PR bone in at Costco. I rubbed it with the exchange rub I received from Joe M called Carne Crosta from Oakridge. I let it set overnight. Let the roast sit on the counter for 60 minutes and into the preheated PG500 at 225 degrees. My wood is 50/50 hickory/cherry. Smoked for 3 hours and pulled when Internal temp was 135. Wrapped in triple HD foil and then in a towel and into the cooler. Let the roast rest for 3 hours. This is what it looked like after the rest. Almost no grey. My best yet. I think four important factors made this my best PR.

#1 letting it rest in the kitchen before going into the smoker allowed the inner part of the roast to warm just a bit so not to be ice cold in the smoker. I think this allowed for an even cook.

#2 Not searing it. I've seen the internal temp spike to above 155 after the sear. This time my internal temp never got above 139.

#3 The long rest in the cooler. I still had 132 degree meat when I pulled it out to slice.

#4 the rub was fantastic!

Padrefan,
Glad your liking the rubs I sent in the exchange!

I use the Black Ops Brisket on my low temp smokes (Brisket and Roasts) and Carne Crosta (Meat Crust) on my high temp grills (Steaks, Prime Rib with reverse sear, and Tri Tips) because it caramelizes at the high temp.

If you haven't used the Green Seasoning yet, I mix it with the Matouks and marinade Chicken for Smoke/grilling.

Ultimately, It's ALL good!
Joe M
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
Padrefan: Wow!! This is now on my "do very soon" list. Two questions: 1) what was the initial weight of your roast?, and 2) It looks like you took off the ribs before slicing, is that correct? Thanks for posting - what an inspiration!

Hi Jay,

Initial weight was a 4 bone 6.75 pound roast. I removed the fat cap before the rub. I removed the bones just before slicing. As close as I could get to the bone.

Prime rib is a nice treat. The 4 bone was plenty for 4 guests with almost half left over. We had delicious prime rib sandwiches last night. Enjoy! Post pictures when you do yours.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
Padrefan,
Glad your liking the rubs I sent in the exchange!

I use the Black Ops Brisket on my low temp smokes (Brisket and Roasts) and Carne Crosta (Meat Crust) on my high temp grills (Steaks, Prime Rib with reverse sear, and Tri Tips) because it caramelizes at the high temp.

If you haven't used the Green Seasoning yet, I mix it with the Matouks and marinade Chicken for Smoke/grilling.

Ultimately, It's ALL good!
Joe M

Hi Joe,

I have used all of the rubs and still have some sauces to try. I will definitely give the Matouks and seasoning a try this week. We usually have chicken 2 or 3 times a week so I will report back. Sounds really good.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.