Skip to main content

Well I just purchased the 'Original' CS Smoker. I have read alot of everyones posts, great info. I will continue reading. I have had a smoker for 40 some years. I started out with a cheap one and have been big and better types. I just sold my Treager Q75, it was a great smoker but way to big since the kids have moved away. My first question is, 'What meat would you suggest to start with with new CS smoker?'Something easy and allow me to see how smoker works and such. I am looking forward to a new beginning.

Thank you.
krogie
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum. I would start with a pork butt. While I haven't used a traeger, I have a friend who does, I expect there may be some changes you may have to make. I'm sure there are others who can chime in on that issue. Also, from my experience, the booklet that comes with the smoker isn't that beneficial. Use the search function on the forum. The forum is a much better source of information. Read the 101's under each meat topic. They helped me a lot. Good luck and enjoy.
Welcome aboard.

You'll want to season your new CS smoker first. Place 3-4 small chunks of Hickory in the wood pan and set temp for 250. Let it burn for 4 hours or more. This will begin to build a black patina on your shiny new metal interior Smiler

As for your 1st meat, a bone-in pork butt is a good place to start. It will further season the smoker and the cook is pretty much a no-brainer. Expect about an hour @ pound at 250. There's no need to mop or spritz as the smoker maintains a very moist environment.
quote:
Originally posted by krogie:
Thanks for info. I'm alittle disappointed with only 2 responses.

Krkgie

Krogie,
Think QUALITY not QUANTITY when it comes to responses. A lot of time if we all agree with the advice already given, we don't respond with a "me too" comment. Another thing to realize is that most comp cooks are too busy trying to beat turn in times on the weekend to respond. The site is more active during the week. You got solid advice and there's plenty more using the 101s & FIND function. No point getting too many cooks in the smoker. Take notes and let us know how it turns out. Change one thing at a time & you will dial it in!
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
quote:
Originally posted by krogie:
Thanks for info. I'm alittle disappointed with only 2 responses.

Krkgie

Krogie,
Think QUALITY not QUANTITY when it comes to responses. A lot of time if we all agree with the advice already given, we don't respond with a "me too" comment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said. I was ready to respond but would only duplicate what fine cooks already gave you.
Usual disclaimer..I aint quite yet the proud owner of one of them nice pits like yall got..so what I say might be non-applicable to the topic at hand...but...I always like to break in a new pit by cooking a chicken or two. They cheap..cook quick..hard to mess up etc. Always comes out edible..but if not you can always give it to the neighbors or the neighbors dog etc. I think it gets things sooted up about as good as a butt on most pits anyway. Kindly keep us posted on what you decide and how it turns out. Thanks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.