Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sounds like your getting some good advice here. I was taught the pecking order like this:
1. Pork on top
2. Beef next
3. Filthy barnyard avians..possums. armadillos (possum on the half shell) and el gatos on the bottom.
3. Fish in a separate dedicated pit so as not to make the good pit smell like dead fish.

Always keep the fat side down on briskets. On butts cut the fat off. There is still plenty of fat left to cook itself right.
Back when some was more serious in the bbq hobby it was decided a butts over brisket thing might be the ticket. Went so far as to buy a matching butt to drip on its designated brisket on the lower shelf. Seemed to improve the briskets immensely. Up to the point of not even needing to finish in Mr. Reynolds wrap a few times. And hongry folks can always knack on some good old yankee pushed pork to keep up the energy levels..lol.
So in competition... I cook one brisket on the top rack, one on the second rack, and two butts on the third rack... However, it doesn't really matter it's just how I've always done it.

I can see how some like pork fat dripping, I prefer briskets on top to help get a better brisket bark... (butts seem to get a good bark regardless)

Again... do whatever you want... just don't put chicken above anything, unless it's in a pan.

Nordy
quote:
Originally posted by Nordy:
So in competition... I cook one brisket on the top rack, one on the second rack, and two butts on the third rack... However, it doesn't really matter it's just how I've always done it.

I can see how some like pork fat dripping, I prefer briskets on top to help get a better brisket bark... (butts seem to get a good bark regardless)

Again... do whatever you want... just don't put chicken above anything, unless it's in a pan.

Nordy

So that wasn't brisket that you were cooking on the Drum smoker when I saw you at the comps? Razzer
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:

Nordy

So that wasn't brisket that you were cooking on the Drum smoker when I saw you at the comps? Razzer

Well.. yes yes it was... I don't always cook briskets in the FEC... but when I do... It's briskets over butts Smiler

Nordy
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:

Nordy

Well.. yes yes it was... I don't always cook briskets in the FEC... but when I do... It's briskets over butts Smiler

Nordy

Me Too..... Wink
I'm no expert on this ,but do see more than an occasional hunk o' pork cooked in the South.
When someone looks at this thread,in a couple years,they might miss the distinction of whether this was a single cooker in a comp,a high end cater with the best possible presentation,or a fast and furious vending operation.

Then someone might toss in that at a comp,they might rotate meat,and using the"crutch" after a certain point,it wouldn't matter.

As to the CS class,if Eddy was involved,I'd bet that they said it like "bigwheel".Of course,they are" old cooks". Wink

The way the original question was posed,being an "old cook",I'd have to put packers under the butts.

Just my $0.02

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.