Skip to main content

this may sound trivial, but I normally buy the large rolls of Heavy Duty Aluminum foil at Sams. But the Heavy Duty-ness seems to be going down hill. The product easily tears while trying to foil the FEC and it's not what it used to be. I saw the Remolds HD Foil there in three pack and did the math and it was quite a bit more expensive.

Two Questions. Have you noticed the degradation is thickness/quality from the Sams (bakers and chefs) brand foil? and what kind of foil do you use?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dont use much of the stuff these days but did happen to notice its getttng a bunch more expensive than when we quit buying large rolls. It was 42 bucks at Restaurant Depot. Used to be 25 at Sam's and less than 20 for the Kirkland brand at Costco. Never did notice it being very stout. Usually planned on at least double wrapping everything.
Ok seems like the last I bought from Sams was Reynolds HD. I sure dont recall them having a store brand. That was the stuff that was mighty tender. If they got something more delicate than that..I dont want none. Now we used to get some in the small rolls called Extra HD. A person could need tin snips on that. It was stout. Never saw it in the big rolls.
I actually took a roll of SAMs foil back after wrapping 16 butts. I had another partial roll that I took with me and showed them the difference between the old roll and the new one. NOT Heavy Duty! The new one was so thin it broke like paper. But, they did take it back and refund my money. Gotta give them credit for that. They can't control what product they get shipped. I understand that they had a batch of brown sugar last year that was supposed to weigh 7 lbs but they found it was a lot less. They pulled it and sent it back. They made a good point to Domino but caused the local BBQ folks to freek out. The SAMs club in our town are good folks, they just do what they are told by HQ. Corporate America, ain't it wonderful?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.