Skip to main content

Since we have a fine ,and large,group of new folks on the forum,I thought I'd offer this up.

Now,all of us from the South know that you only eat pulled/chopped,or even "machine chopped" pork,or whole hawg on Cheap White Hamburger Buns.

Yes,I know Kaiser Rolls from up east hold together better,and the sourdough from out west gives it's own flavor element.

Yes,rustic whole wheat,or whole grain breads have more fiber and flavor and are probably healthier.

But, we tradionalists know the "true path". Big Grin

That said,a few years ago,a fellow "hillbilly"-and I say this fondly-and a fine cook from the South,gave us an antecdote about necessity being the mother of invention.

Seems ,as I recall,he had folks come by and wanted some of his fine Cookshack smoked pork butt.

Turns out,he had the pork-but only cheap white hotdog buns.

Oh my, Eeker.

But,being a true southern gentleman -born and raised to hospitality-he had to offer up this poor excuse. Red Face

Strangely,they loved them and he does this all the time,now.

I do it occasionally,and this weekend did a full cooker of butts.

I gave away my cheap white hamburger buns ,as sandwiches to grateful neighbors,and we had to fall back on a package of hotdog buns.

Worked great ,as always,and better yet,gave us the chance to think of another old friend from the forum.

If he is around this week,I'll let him speak up and clean up this tale.

Thanks again.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tom,
I must say that pulled pork sandwich is a treat, but I for one just love the pork on a plate. Hey... why fill up on bread, when I can save room for more pork?
All the carbohydrates aside....I have found a place in Danville PA known as BJ's Ribs that serves pulled pork on corn fritters. This is an excellant meal. My wife tried it first and I was to say the least skeptical, but when I tried it, I was amazed. The mix of the smoked pork and the sweet flavor of the corn fritters was fantastic! I don't have a recipe for the fritters, but I'm sure that a quick goggle search will find one.
Reference the corn fritters,I've also seen this approach in areas of the South.

As much of the areas served meat and threes,and may have as many as 8 to 10 sides.

Often there would be soupy white,or pinto beans,along with bbq beans.

Often greens,with the pot likker,would be a choice.

They would ,because of the broth on the plates,serve a cormeal pancake,for soppin' and to keep the pork,or bbq pulled chicken out of the soppin's.

True corn fritters would be pan fried ,often in bacon grease,in a black iron skillet and could be as crisp as a potato chip.

The cornmeal pancakes would be a mixture of flour and cornmeal,have about the body of 4-5 inch pancakes,but with more the mouthfeel and flavor of cornbread.
I got the hot dog bun idea from this forum long ago, and most people seem to like it.

Heard once that some restaurant served their pulled pork in a steam tray striped with american cheese. Not quite ready to go there.

But I did see on one of those food travel shows where a place serves pulled pork over spaghetti, covered with barbecue sauce. Decided to suspend my disbelief and try that one. Not bad, but I would have a hard time trying to convince a crowd to follow me down that road.
The bbq spaghetti came from the BBQ Shoppe,down on Madison,which does fine pulled pork and excellent sauces.

You got about 1/3 lb cheap #8 spaghetti,better than a 1/2 lb great pulled pork, a thinish,not too sweet,redish/brown bbq sauce,some chopped onions and sport peppers,fresh grated parmesan,chopped green onions,and crushed red pizza pepper.

As much thick sliced garlic bread,as you could stand.

Our own drbbq did a visit with the owner and wrote it up.

Now,there was a fine old bbq joint,The Interstate,that started doing a version of it,and lays some claim to it.

It was in an area that many of us would hesitate to visit-even on good times of day.

You took a cab.

This was old man Neeley,and almost an instituition.

Some may know the name from the FoodTV show about the Neeley's.

This is one of the four?nephews,and most folks from the area would not utter the name in the same breath,as the old gentleman.

They would say it fits right in with Corky's. Eeker

I'll offer no opinions.

In the early 70's ,the Rendezvous,used to serve it on Friday lunch,which is about the only time you can get a decent rack of their famous "dry rub ribs".

Other times you got a shoulder sandwich and the cheese plate.

You got a cheese and peppers plate with saltines,ice frozen in your beer mug[a good thing,since summer could be 100*/100% humidity and a hot fog,huggin' the sidewalks]you could sit in old barber chairs,and bribe the old "minority" waiter to NOT bring you the third rack of 20 oz loinbacks. Roll Eyes

There were rumors that some of us climbed the steps,up to the alley,and stumbled across to the Downtowner,to rest until about 10 PM,when the weather was better, to head out for the many other bbq joints.

Glad I didn't hang out with them reprobates. Wink
I'm not getting this. Confused Do you put the meat in the bun, or on top of the bun? And do you just do it chopped or pulled, or are you supposed to squeeze it into a roughly hot dog shape cylinder? I tried just putting it on top and it kept falling off unless I put a lot of sauce on it. I also tried making a hotdog shape and then it just rolled off. I guess I could make kind of a layered arrangement with the slaw on the inside and the BBQ on top, but I'd like to see how everyone else does it too.

And also I don't understand where you'all are getting your bun. I guess I could buy extra next time at the store, but unless I buy extra I always run out of buns and still have two hotdogs left. If I've got to buy extra, why not just buy more hamburger buns and skip all the hard geometry and trying to make BBQ work like a hotdog? But it is an interesting idea.
Open up the hot dog bun and pile some pulled pork on in. Think open-faced sandwich or chili dog. Hit it with an appropriate amount of sauce. Can you pick it up and fit it in your mouth, or does the bun get soppy and over-filled and beg for a fork?
You are there to eat smoked pork. To mix it up you are going to add sauce and eat bread. You might even add pickles and sport peppers and mustard and onions. In a moment of inspiration have someone tie your hands behind your back. Enjoy.
I really enjoy cheap hamburger buns with my pulled pork and hotdog buns are OK as well since they're made of the same stuff. As long as the flavor of the bun doesn't get in the way of the pork and my slaw.

I can't stand regular bread as my sammich bread with BBQ. I'd rather just eat hte BBQ by itself.

However, I've recently found a place around here that makes hoagie rolls that don't have a lot of flavor. Usually this is a bad thing, but for my BBQ sammiches it PERFECT. Extra BBQ and lots of sloppy creamy slaw. DANG gotta get some of those and make some Q this weekend!! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by cronyism sucks:
I can't stand regular bread as my sammich bread with BBQ. I'd rather just eat the BBQ by itself.
Big Grin

Agreed. But I've found that the Bolo (Bolillos?) rolls for Mexican tortas from BJ's are a great substitute for plain white hamburger buns, and far better than white bread. Plus you get about 3 dozen for $5.

We have cooked Dillard,Ga for a few years and always eat one meal at the famous Dillard House.

It is just over the mountain from Ashville

The new Super Walmart has mostly Mex/Central Amer. patrons,hispanic restaurants all over,and mostly hispanic labor in all the surrounding towns.

Small Latino groceries/convenient stores everywhere.

Not too many ICE raids there?

Mexican restaurants are some of the best,and have been for years.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.