Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

not sure I completely understand your question, But my opinion won't cost you anything.
With ribs, you will probably be safe putting your beans under them for the smoke. If you were smoking a PB, or Brisket, I would put a pan under the meat to catch the juices. Then you can control the amount of drippings you add to your beans. Your beans will get all the smoke they need in about an hour. I pull mine out and stir a couple of times during the smoke.
Good Luck, hope this helps!
I have adopted the procedure of cooking ribs meat side down until they are done..no flipping allowed and don't spill the juice which accumulates on the concave bone side. Done is when two adjacent bones in the middle of the rack can be pulled slightly apart without much effort. Then they get wrapped and into the insulated box for at least an hour. Final step is back in the heat for a sweet glaze. One swipe allowed on each side. More than one swipe will rob the rub of its spices. We dont eat greasy beans. To smoke them up try lid off in the cool part of the pit for two hours.
I usually put the beans under the meat so the drippings from the meat will flavor them.

Other hints:

I put the beans in an aluminum foil pan. Then I heat them up in the oven to heat them up to the smoker temperature before I put them in the smoker. A can or two of beans has a lot of thermal mass and if you put them in at room temperature, you can really drag down the temperature of the smoker. I find an hour or two on smoke is plenty for beans.

If you don't want to make beans from scratch, use canned beans and add a couple of tablespoons of bourbon per can of beans. If you like sweet beans add a bit of brown sugar, turbinado sugar or maple syrup. If you like savory beans add a quartered onion and a couple of cloves of squished garlic. A few slices of roasted green chiles do wonders to Ranch Style beans if you like them southwestern style.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.