Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok since i did not get any replys I experimented on my own. I set the temp for 135* for 2 hours. Then I raised up the temp to 200* to get the smoking part done for 2 hours or to get the internal temp of the meat to 176*. Then I reset the temp to 135* for 3 hours for good color.
I do have one concern.....Where the meat touched the grill in places it turned it greenish color. This was just in a few places, and just whereit touched the grill plates. I cut all of that off with a filet knife, because I was afraif of discolored meat. Wonder what caused that, and if bacon hooks noex time would aleiviate that problem..

All suggestions are welcome so please chime in and help a fellow cookshack smoker

Steve
Sorry I missed your first post. I do a lot of bacon in my SM160. I use equal parts of Kosher Salt, and brown sugar. I also us a small amount of pink salt(depends on how much bacon I am doing). I coat my belly meat on both sides in a large Zip-lock bag. I then put 1/4 cup of real maple syrup into each bag. I cure this in the fridge for 7 days, turning every day. I then rinse under cold water until all of the cure has been rinsed off, and pat dry. I let it air dry in the fridge for 24hrs. I then brush on a lite coat of the Maple Syrup. I will add pepper to some, and a cayenne mixture to others. It just depends on the flavor I am going for. It is then placed on the racks in my smoker, and set at 200 deg. for 4 hrs. I put a probe in the top piece, and shoot for 147 deg. I have never experienced the color that you did. I cook directly on my racks with no problem.
Hope this helps, and good luck.
Gary
The one thing I did not do was to let it dry after I washed the salts and honey off. I am really thinking the green spots may have been a chemical reaction to the metal rack, but I was not taking any chances so I cut those little spots out.

I did cook some of it up tonight and it was wonderful. I do like your idea of setting it at 200* and letting it go. Best thing is I had very little grease, unlike the store bought stuff.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.