Skip to main content

Howdy, all.

I'm hoping for some advice about how to put 6 to 8 hours of cold smoke on some bacon-to-be in an SM045.

I have the cold-smoke baffle for the SM045 and understand how to use it. The problem is that it seems like I can only put on about 90 minutes of cold smoke at a time. But the instructions aren't really clear. They say to add heat for 20 minutes and then turn off the power and let the wood smoke w/o additional heat for "up to 90 minutes." Also, if necessary, turn the heat back on after 60 minutes for another 20 to make more smoke. Just don't let the temperature go over 90 degrees.

I guess what I'm asking is, to make a steady supply of cold smoke after the initial 20 minute period, should I turn the heat on every hour for 10 or 20 minutes or so, adding ice to the baffle and maybe more wood as needed? As long as the smoker doesn't get over 90 degrees, can I keep that going as long as I have the energy?

Is there a better way?

Thanks, in advance!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I used to use the baffle... and it worked ok. I would run it for 20 minutes or when the upper chamber would reach 90 deg whichever came first. Then I would let it sit until the chamber cooled down. If I wanted more smoke, I would run the cycle again.

But now I use the Amazin-tube (or whatever they call it).

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

You can run that for as long as you want and things still stay cool. You don't need to run the 045 at all.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.