Skip to main content

Mr. T's Sugar Cured Bacon

Regarding the process:

The following procedure exercises the Morton Tender Quick recommendation of seven days in cure per one inch thickness with a two day salt equalization period in order to reach a total of 100% equalization.

Due to the high fat content in belly bacon, it takes a longer cure time to reach 100% equalization than other cuts of pork or beef.

There are the pundits who believe the curing process can be accomplished in a much shorter time, some feeling, it should also be soaked to cut the salt content, perhaps for the reason they are on a low salt diet. If they are doing so and getting what they feel is a good result, that's fine.

There are also those who feel the longer the bacon is in the cure the saltier the bacon will taste. If using sugar in your recipe, it has been learned that the opposite is actually happening. The reason being, salt inters meat at a faster rate than sugar. Thus, if sugar isn't given the proper amount of time to equalize through osmosis into the meat, the saltier it will taste.

Since building my first walk in smoke house in 1975, numerous belly bacon cure methods and recipes have been used. The result being the KISS system works fine for us. The following recipe and process produces an exceptional slightly sweet molasses flavored bacon with a light smoke flavor. For bacon with a more pronounced molasses flavor, dark brown sugar may be used.

Recipe: Per pound of bacon.

1 TBS Morton Tender Quick
1TBS brown sugar - light or dark depending on taste
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper

Curing Process:

Cut skinless belly in half and place in separate 2 gallon zip bags. Apply measured cure by weight to each cut of bacon and massage in, afterwards place in cooler or fridge. Turn daily for the entire curing process.

Example:

A two inch side will require a minimum of 14 days in the cure. After the minimum cure time has been reached give it a quick rinse, pat dry then place on a meat hanger in the cooler or place on a rack in fridge for an additional two days for further salt equalization and pellicle formation.

A AMNPS containing pulverized pellets is then placed in a external smoke collector. This is what is normally used to create a very thin pale blue smoke. The bacon is then smoked to a desired color rather than time.

It is normally in a continuous pale blue smoke for < > 72 hours and kept at a temperature below 72°. Using a different smoke generator or type of fuel will result in different times.

If hot smoking, the use of the Cookshack 066 works very well using a medium density pale blue/white smoke. Smoke at a internal temp of 145° until desired color is reached.

When smoking is complete the bacon is then placed back in the cooler for an additional 2 - 3 days for additional smoke equalization. After a total of 21 days it is ready for consumption or freezing.

The end result is nothing less than a sweet, medium smoke flavored, slice of ecstasy.

Cooking:

Due to the addition of nitrites it is recommended not to heat above 350°. For that reason, my preferred method is to bake anywhere from 200° for approximately two hours, to 325° for approximately 25 minutes or to the desired crispness.

Additional Information:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/w...fety.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/p...food-safety/ct_index

Tom
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bill you bring up a good point. I've a couple of post you two should collaborate on.

1. To cure or not to cure, that is the question. Discuss the types of cures from just salt, to #1 , #2, TQ, Etc.

2. FAQ. reading through a lot of your guys post you cover a lot of ground, maybe a good post kind of touching on common questions, etc

Russ
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bill:
T. I've used TQ, store bought cures and #1 quite a bit. Last order, I ordered a pound of #2. What's your experience with it? How would I do a whole belly different with it and what would be the advantage/disadvantage? Also How would it work on a whole ham, like you have in the PIC?

Chaplain, Congratulations on you dream come true. I'm quite certain you will be producing a fine product.

Cannot give you any credible advice as I have absolutely no experience with cures #1 or #2. I have always used Morton products when curing, simply because of the availability and ease of it's use. By using TQ when dry curing belly's the texture and flavor that we enjoy is reached.

The Morton products can be used when curing hams. Injection is highly recommended though as I recently attempted to duplicate four "Country Ham's". In doing so none were injected using only exterior rubs. The results were mixed from some saying they were very good to spoiled. None met my taste expectations, possibly because of the effort used in making them.

Tom
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bill:
T. I've used TQ, store bought cures and #1 quite a bit. Last order, I ordered a pound of #2. What's your experience with it? How would I do a whole belly different with it and what would be the advantage/disadvantage? Also How would it work on a whole ham, like you have in the PIC?

I don't think you want to use Cure#2 for belly. Cure#2 is used for dry cured sausages that take from several weeks to several months to cure. Might be able to use it to dry cure a country ham, not sure though.

Cure#1 & Cure#2 are not interchangeable.

Here's a great writeup of the different cures available that I stumbled across:

Curing Salts for Sausage Making
Great resource, Andy! It's been a long while since I made cured sausage, but I definitely agree Cure #2 (sometimes called Prague Powder #2) is only used for meats that require very long cure times and aren't necessarily cooked. Cure #2 contains nitrites and nitrates, Cure #1 nitrites only (both with salt of course). Cure #2 should not be used for wet-curing or brining.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.