Skip to main content

Did some bacon this weekend- real easy- 1 12 pound slab of pork belly, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup kosher salt, 2.5 teaspoons pink salt. Brined for 8 days in loosely vacuumed bags, turning daily. Let soak in water for 1 hour, air dried overnight. Smoked 2 hours at 195 to 150 degrees internal temp with about 2 ox hickory chips. air dried overnight again, sliced and enjoyed. Smoked on SMO45.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:

How was the taste? Anything you'd change in the process?

taste was great- just the right amount of smoke, I like my bacon a little saltier- fresh out of the brine was a little much, an hour in water was maybe close- might try a little less bathtime next time (maybe 45 minutes)
quote:
Originally posted by Que'n RN:
Did some bacon this weekend- real easy- 1 12 pound slab of pork belly, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup kosher salt, 2.5 teaspoons pink salt. [/url]

Looks mighty yummy. Making this is on my agenda. Finally got shopping rights on a place that sells bellies. I will prob sub with a cup of TQ for white and pink salt. That should work. Now tell us the pros and cons of skin on or skin off. Or if its like a picnic it might be real easy to skin when it gets about half done. I bet that would be the ticket perhaps? Nice photography too.
Looks great! Bacon is one of those things that is so simple and smokes up nice....way better then the grocery store. Goal is to do a beef bacon one of these days.

Favorite recipe:
Kosher Salt
Agave Nectar
Herbs de Provence (not too much)
Red pepper...to your spicy taste
Vacuum seal for 3-5 days, turning daily
(optional) black pepper...if I do, it is a course pepper coated well
smoke with Kansas pecan @225 for 5 hours (time/temp i would like to experiment with more in the future but this worked)

Sure makes the house smell great when in the skillet

Attachments

Images (1)
  • bacon
I was looking over this post. I take my bacon to an internal temp of 150-160 so it is essentially a fully cooked product. You could slice, throw it betwixt two pieces of bread and have a sandwich without cooking it further. But frying it up is nice too, with the rendered fat and all. I cure my pork sirloins for deli ham and smoke to 150-160 and they are as fully cooked at the bacon is when they come out of the fEC. We slice them and eat them on bread. Only thing is with the bacon, you'd ingest more unrendered fat.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.