Skip to main content

After taking the time to make it, I take the time and bake it. Baking sugar cured bacon will help prevent the tendency of the sugar caramelizing and burning prior to the bacon being done. It gives you a chance to monitor the process more closely.

My preference is to bake it at 225° for approximately two hours using a rack placed in a pan to catch the drippings which are saved for later use.

Sliced and ready for the mini convection oven.

Ready for the table.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That's some gorgeous bacon, Mr. T. How long was the curing time? Was that part of another thread that I may have missed?

Thanks for the reminder about Bakin' Bacon, something I've overlooked doing for some time. The method produces perfect results every time as long as the time is available. With that in mind, where is the rule that states that bacon, and eggs, can only be consumed at breakfast.
quote:
Originally posted by dls:
That's some gorgeous bacon, Mr. T. How long was the curing time?

DLS,
Cure was started the day after the kill and was cured for two weeks, followed by a rinse and a one day air dry to form pelicle. It was then cold smoked for two full days with a high temperature of 60 degrees, hung in cooler for two more days then cut into blocks and packaged.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.