Skip to main content

I'm off for my next adventure... MAKIN BACON!

I've been reading through a lot of the posts and have some ideas but I was wondering....

Cold or hot smoke after curing, and why do you prefer it that way?

Skin on or off while curing and why on bellies?

When doing Canadian bacon do you trim off the fat off of the pork loin or leave it?

Canadian bacon, belly bacon or something I'm wanting to try, (pork) bacon? My wife and kids like bacon overcooked by my standards so rather than have all the shrink on regular bacon I want to try a little leaner meat like pork butts. I have some canadian bacon curing right now that I used pork loin.

Think it could ever be profitable to do this as a business on a smaller scale without spending 6 figures for equipment? I think we have a demand for it and we have a pretty good following. If it's like making jerky, the margin is TIGHT if you are realistic about your labor costs. I'm always looking for a new item to mix it up a little or to keep the "buzz" going.

Now this one is way out there but has anyone ever tried a beef cut to make bacon?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I hot smoke my bacon. Just what was recommended. I may try cold smoking it next winter. I don't know what the difference is. I keep the skin on while curing and smoking then take it off while it is still warm. Sometimes I just need to start a cut in the corner and the rest starts to peel right off.

I trim almost all of the fat off the pork loin before I brine it.

So far I've only made bacon from pork belly and Canadian from loin.

As far as beef bacon goes, google Schmacon. Cookshack posted a thread on Facebook about it a few days ago. Looks like it might be something going mainstream in the next 6 months or so.
You can make beef bacon out many cuts. For pork, Buckboard bacon is bacon which is cut out of a Pork butt (shoulder). It looks like ham slices but taste like bacon. I've made some off it, just debone the pork butt and cut it in slabs and then cure it. I use Hi Mountain Buckboard bacon cure on all my bacon. I've made Buckboard (pork butt), American Bacon (pork Belly) and Canadian bacon (pork Loin). All Was Great.

Here's a post I did sometime ago on a big run of Bacon.

Bacon Post

I've sold a lot of it at about 6 dollars a pound, but just to friends and coworkers, because I don't have a DHEC kitchen or meat processing facility, which is required in most states.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.