Skip to main content

Hello all, new to the CS Forum. I am a long time forum junkie; cooking, guns, cameras, politics, antiques, etc...

I joined today because I ordered a new 36" CS Charbroiler today.

My story is long, I'll try to make it as short as possible. I spent most of the first 20 years of my life working as a state licensed detective (thus the PI in my user name). My work consisted of 20% criminal defense, 20% private process service and 60% vehicle repossessions. It was fun and exiting in my 20's, it was ok in my 30's, when I got into my 40's I tired of being the bad guy all of the time. I felt I had seen it all with somewhere north of 12,000 vehicle repossessions in my career.

So 3 years ago my wife and I decided we were ready for a change. We closed up our business and took a few months off to decide what we wanted to do. I have always loved cooking soup in the winter and KC style BBQ and grilling in the summer. I decided I wanted stress free doing something I love for work, then getting off work and mowing my yard (I had been hiring my lawn mowing). I started watching ads and found a help wanted for a breakfast and lunch cook at a public restaurant located in a small but very nice retirement community.

Shortly after starting I was put off by several issues at the restaurant, not the least of them being an unkempt kitchen area, complacency among staff, and a feeling of hostility from the residents. The food was OK, the service was usually OK, the management were not really restaurant people.

My boss gave me a menu for a 200 plate company party which included "Smoked Brisket". This restaurant didn't have a smoker. The per/plate deal was $8. Smoked brisket from Sysco was quite expensive per pound in comparison to raw brisket. I decided to bring my Traeger BBQ075 from home and smoke the brisket. Feeding 200 people required 4 loads in the 075. I smoked the briskets for around 8 hours, then wrapped them in foil and refrigerated them. Then the day of the event brought them up to 195 degrees, cooled them to 145. I served them with my own KC style sauce I have been making for 10 years or so. People loved it, as did the upper management at the facility. I began serving que for Sunday brunch at the restaurant, the people loved it then too.

After a few weeks I was asked to manage the kitchen. After 4 months I was asked to manage the restaurant. I asked for 2 new Traeger smoker grills so I could take mine home. My new boss who took the place of the first boss I had, actually knows the restaurant business and is a foodie, told me to take one of the new grills home and leave my old one at the restaurant..cool.

Now 2 1/2 years later business is better than it has been in the 10 years the restaurant has been open. I asked for a new CS charbroiler which will make grilling something we can offer every day...a year or two and I will be able to get a CS smoker too.

I will be lurking and asking questions. Looking forward to learning more.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

PI Chef, if you grilled before you will have no problems learning, for me it was a short learning curve but I’m perfecting more and more, i cook allot of Chicken Brest and Steaks, what’s worked for me so far and bear in mind i have a hood on my Charbroiler i heat it up on high for 10-15 min with hood open then set to low and drop the hood and throw a bunch of skinless breast and i cook them for 8-10 min on each side i do a cross sear on my chicken so that means 4-5 min and then rotate on grill for another 4-5 then i flip them, also i seasoned my grill thanks to Stuart i spent about 3 hours heating my grill and then letting it cool down as i coated my grills with oil it was a great suggestion, also i use this in my back yard so i use spray oil on the grills after each use to keep them from ever rusting... good luck and have fun.
I have done a lot of grilling, I really don't expect any issues beyond the learning curve. Thanks for the chicken tip. I ordered the hood too...I can think of several uses for it even though we will be installing it indoors.I have seasoned cast iron cookware, I suspect this is about the same process. I will post pics when the unit is up and running.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.