Skip to main content

I have one maverick et-73 (the wireless kind) and love the thing. I place my product in the smoker and stick in the thermometer. I watch the temperature go up or wait for it to beep from the couch.

Last week I had two pork butts in the smoker. I watched one temp with the maverick remotely. However, the second butt I had to get up. I am now considering buying a second maverick et-73. Can you rub two maverick et-73 or do you get some sort of wireless interference?

thanks
El
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can't specifically answer your question but I can make a suggestion. When I cook more than one butt, I put the meat temp probe in the smallest butt. Then when it hits temp, I know the others should probably not far behind.

Heck, let's be honest, I don't even watch the temps anymore. I just wait for the alarm to go off and then I check to see what is needed. But my actions come from cooking butts for over ten years. Five years on an FEC. You grow to know your smoker and what it needs from you. Fortunately, it does not need much.

Don't know if this helps any, but I am sure more knowing of a two Maverick setup will chime in.

Keep on smokin.
Do what Ribdog said and don't worry so much. It's just BBQ. With your extra time, read a little. I suggest this book, it's great:

But if you must use two Mavericks at once, yes, they will work as I do it all the time. Or you can get an ET-7 which has two meat probes and just go crazy and monitor everything. But get the book too. After all, there's more to life than just BBQ.
I've had the ET-7 for over a year now and use it regularly. Two pork butts, two probes.

What I usually do is insert just one of the ET-7 probes into the smaller pork butt and the Cookshack probe into a second one. When the ET-7 probe shows its butt getting close then I get up and check the meat temp on the Cookshack.

Works for me. Haven't seen a need to use 3 probes even when I've done 3 or 4 butts. ThermoPen all the butts in several areas for the final check.

Todd. Last time you recommended barbecue books. I see you're expanding your horizons.
To tag onto what the fine cooks above are saying,think of the Maverick as a "fallback" position.

If you have a case of 16 butts going,you certainly won't probe them all.

Many cooks,on contests that are hundreds of miles from home,may try to grab a couple hrs sleep in the truck,etc.
They don't want to risk the fire blowing out,so that is the first reason to use the Maverick.
Next,like Ribdog says,you probe the first product that may get somewhere near needing attention,so you can get started on the whole cooker.

Cooks all around you use them this way,and you here rumors of cross interference-but we don't really know.

As the others said,you may figure on that 1.5-2 hrs/lb and start checking your temps then.
Your experience and notes come into play,then.

Just a couple thoughts.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Todd. Last time you recommended barbecue books. I see you're expanding your horizons.

The shortest path to a woman's heart is through her stomach, but sometimes life throws you a detour, and I want to be prepared with a well planned alternate route. Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.