Skip to main content

I looked at the 1 star reviews (worst experience) on Amazon web site. There were 35 one star reviews in which the reliability of the Mavrick 732 was awful. There were about 85 reviews that said it was great. With such a high percentage of negative reviews I don't feel comfortable buying one right now.

What are your opinions (please look at the reviews on Amazon)?

Thank you!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Kind of funny you guys put this on here. I thought I had a good plan of using the heat shrink material on the probe wiring but after only 3 rounds I have one wigging out part of the time. I emailed the ebay seller and they said they are sending me a whole new unit?? Must not be costing them to much.

I have used my Oregon Scientific over 150 days for monitoring my fryer temp without so much as a single issue. May be the way to go as they are quite a bit heavier.
I had the 73 and was real happy I bought it, but 10 minutes after hitting the BIN button on eBay for it I saw the 732 and really kicked myself.

Got one of the 732s last week from that fella selling them for $49.00. I love the additional features the new unit has: I especially like that I don't have to pry open the back of the transmitter unit to turn it on, also like the little DISH icon that flashes with the remote is polling, like the idea that the remote will ALARM when it has lost contact more than 2 minutes, like the backlight for night time use, like it a lot. Used it yesterday for a whole brisket and really trusted it (when the brisket lingered in the plateau forever) and glad I did because when the 732 finally said 190 it was quite late and about to rain, but doggone the brisket and subsequent burnt ends are to die for...

You gotta really be careful with the probes - amazing the wire can take abuse, the tips are exposed to long term heat and the only weak aspect of the design is getting water into the probe can ruin it. Expensive less to learn.

Love the 732
I bought the 732 off of eBay. Used it twice and the BBQ probe went bad. First smoke it worked ok. Yesterday I was doing some BB ribs and just dropped the BBQ probe down the smoke hole to check on temps.

After about 20 mins it was reading 160 which I thought was a little low, but probably ok for the smoker just starting up. Ignored the reading for awhile and when I came back, it was read 367!! and the smoker was set for 225. And I had cleaned off the thermostat probe just prior to this cook.

Long and short, when I got done, the probe was reading 167 in the outside air that was 67 degrees. So the probe is bad.

I had also put some silicon adhesive on both probes prior to ever using them to keep water out. So I don't think water is the problem.

I too have had a Maverick 73 which has worked for YEARS... and except for the inherent design of the 73 (short range xmit) it has worked fine.
i've been pretty happy with my 732.

i've also gone thru several probes (two were destroyed when my AQ controller went on the fritz
and got hot enough to melt the three probes i was using to monitor an overnight pork butt cook. seriously, the cookshack meat probe resin melted!) the AQ got way over the 700F limit of the maverick meat probes!

i also destroyed another maverick meat probe by kinking the cable when fishing it back up thru the AQ vent hole)

but the main TX and RX units have been bullet proof.
quote:
Originally posted by Qnorth:
I bought the 732 off of eBay. Used it twice and the BBQ probe went bad. First smoke it worked ok. Yesterday I was doing some BB ribs and just dropped the BBQ probe down the smoke hole to check on temps.

After about 20 mins it was reading 160 which I thought was a little low, but probably ok for the smoker just starting up. Ignored the reading for awhile and when I came back, it was read 367!! and the smoker was set for 225. And I had cleaned off the thermostat probe just prior to this cook.

Long and short, when I got done, the probe was reading 167 in the outside air that was 67 degrees. So the probe is bad.

I had also put some silicon adhesive on both probes prior to ever using them to keep water out. So I don't think water is the problem.

I too have had a Maverick 73 which has worked for YEARS... and except for the inherent design of the 73 (short range xmit) it has worked fine.

Did you submerge the probe when you washed it?
I just wipe my probes off with my sanitizing solution each time on a paper towel.
No, didn't submerge it and prior to first use, I smeared some Dow industrial silicone sealant on the joint between the flex-wire and the probe.

The good eBay people sent me a new 732 (free) and that BBQ probe has one use now and worked ok. If that one fails, I'll fall back to the 73 which has never failed in 3 or more years.
I own 2- 732's and think they are wonderful. It makes smoking so much easier since you can set parameter alarms and don't have to be on constant alert. The signal travels quite a distance in my home, so I just clip it on my belt.

I havent found anything that is it's equal. The probe is the weak point, but I just own a couple of extras, just in case.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.