Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It will really depend on what kind you want,such as wireless, dual probe,etc.

I would imagine most would agree that a probe that was hooked directly in a controller would be the most dependable, but then you have to be right next to it too be able to read the controller.

The care that you use in washing the probe may go a long ways on how long it will last, they tend to have problems when they are allowed to be soaked in water.

Myself, I buy cheap Taylor probes at Target for $15 and when I get careless,which happens, and burn the wires on the wood box lid. It is time for a new one,oh well! I'm getting smarter and keeping a few extra around.
Last edited by cal 2
Like cal says about some of us older cooks.Therms die,get left at home,in the other truck,fall in the dishwater pot,get run over with truck tires,get loaned and disappear,etc.

Taylors are very reasonable,and Amazon may even sell them 3 for ?$30 with free shipping.

Don't panic over pure accuracy,as the therm is just a guide when to start checking the meat.

On overnight cooks,in bad weather,rain,etc,many cooks don't even put the probe in the meat until morning.
I hate sounding like I'm complaining about my probe. It's sure made my smoking experience more enjoyable but...
Several years ago my wife bought me a remote single probe from Brookstone. I've only checked accuracy once. It looked good to me at boiling/ice water. I've only lost one probe due to repeated wear. They've strengthened them since with a probe redesign but need to add a bend at the probe head (IMO). Still, if I could find something better I would not recommend buying the Bookstone. I've lost link a few times going 35 feet through the stucco walls of the house. Bringing the receiver outside to the xmitter, I was able to push reset buttons and regain link so not a deal buster. The bigger problem is the inability to set target temps. It's loaded with what looks to be standard temps for different meats (rare/med/well) but doesn't allow a manual mode where I can tell it when I want the buzzer to go off. Drives me nuts once it starts shouting "your entree is almost ready!" or "your entree is ready" at temperatures lower than I prefer. It does not have an audio ON/OFF switch or button so I've considered severing its vocal cords on occasion. I just can't bring myself to maime such a nice looking outfit. For what it is, it's done pretty well over the last couple years. I just wish it was a bit better thought out.
THERMOWORKS RULES! They have a basic model for under $20 and replacement probes are $7! Buy a couple if you do more than one piece at a time. If you want to spend more they have a great selection. I do use my Maverick ET-732 for overnight cooks. I'm disappointed with my iGrill as it loses signal (Bluetooth) too frequently.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.