Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yep,they have been the standard for comp cooks for at least a decade.

Reference that infrared reader that Padrefan picked up.I was having a little trouble getting the feel for my PG 500 and since cal had been using his for comps,he shared some tips.

I picked up an infrared and cal suggested it was difficult to point at flames or pockets of heat to get the heat at a cooking point on the grill grates, like I had always preached we learn on our traditional smokers.

cal suggested going to the hardware store and getting several large diameter flat metal washers.Place them around the grill surfaces and read the heat on them.
No,it doesn't tell you everything,but it is one more tool.

cal is getting pretty smart about using these "micro stickburners". Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Yep,they have been the standard for comp cooks for at least a decade.

Reference that infrared reader that Padrefan picked up.I was having a little trouble getting the feel for my PG 500 and since cal had been using his for comps,he shared some tips.

I picked up an infrared and cal suggested it was difficult to point at flames or pockets of heat to get the heat at a cooking point on the grill grates, like I had always preached we learn on our traditional smokers.

cal suggested going to the hardware store and getting several large diameter flat metal washers.Place them around the grill surfaces and read the heat on them.
No,it doesn't tell you everything,but it is one more tool.

cal is getting pretty smart about using these "micro stickburners". Cool

Thanks for the nice comments, but all us young cooks around here are just doing what our mentor Smokin' passed on to us.....go cook something, keep good notes, and change one thing at a time.

No magic dust there, like most young cooks want to find, but we are always willing to help a forum member make a decent meal for his guests. The magic is then up to them to learn/catch. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.