Skip to main content

Anyone tried the remote temp monitor from Oregon Scientific? Apparently, it warns you (by voice) when the meat is within 5 deg of setpoint and then announces your meat is done when it reaches the setpoint. Never used one so curious if any of you have.

It's about $39 here(free shipping):

http://www.heartratemonitorsus...usa#scProductReviews
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've been using one for serveral yrs and only prob been that getting receiver and xmitter to sync up. Found out the hard way of a reset button in both battery compartment. My gripe with it is the warning starts about 5 deg before the temp setpoint and it won't shut up. Several years ago when I bought it the price was below $10 ea, so with that price I can live with it.
I have been very happy with my Oregon Scientific. There are two reset buttons. One in the transmitter and one in the remote. The warning can be turned off temporaily by pushing and holding the on/off button. Or you can set the warning to 5 degrees above the desired temp. It will warn you 5 degress below set temp as "Almost done" and again when it hits temp "It's done" Good piece of equipment, long range, sturdy construction.
From that picture, the OS doesn't seem to display the temps on the transmitting unit. How does one know if the units have failed to sync? On the Maverick, it's easy to see the failure due to the temps not being the same. Also, it appears to force one to use the receiver - sometimes, especially with relatively short cooking times, the receiver isn't necessary, and I just go with the transmitter just to conserve battery life.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.