Skip to main content

My masterbuilt smoke did this past weekend, of course while smoking a 10 lb butt. After a year of using a bungee cord to keep door closed I've decide to dump it instead of trying to fix. Been reading up on sm025 and think it may do the job. Just wonder if its large enough. Normally smoke enough for 2-6 people. At times if entire family is over may be for up to 16(not very often). Is this going to give enough capacity? When family comes over usually throw in a couple of butts from SAMs. Guess around 15 lbs on one rack
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For 2 - 6 people, you'll be fine. For 16, you'll be at the limit as Padrefan said. Not that you can't make it work, you'll just have to be a little creative. The most I've done successfully is a large brisket and two pork butts. Followed by a pan of beans. Plenty for a crowd.

Semi unsuccessful would be 7 racks of ribs, two tri-tips and a half pan of beans. The smoker never got up to temperature. Had to throw the ribs into the oven to finish. Fortunately they got enough smoke in the beginning that the cookout was a success.

Like I said, you might have to be creative for large crowds. I have an 020.
Given your stated needs, the 025 will do fine. That said, in time you might find extra capacity a handy option. Having owned a number of Cookshack smokers, I suggest going with the most you can afford to spend. Prior to purchasing a FEC100, I owned a CS 009...similar to the 025. Eventually, I purchased an Amerique to handle larger capacities for 4th of July parties and such.

Whatever you decide, know that you're buying a top notch product with the best customer support in the business.
MaxQ - you forgot to tell him how well they hold their value ;-) RT, If you decide to go with the 025 (I have one and love it) for budgetary reasons (I did) and you decide it's not big enough after a while, I'm sure you can find someone to buy it. Perhaps even someone who is on the receiving end of the great BBQ you are gonna make in it. The only reason I would love a taller unit is so I can hang sausage from the top rail and have a lot of clearance withough having to jerri-rig it. If you plan on making your own sausage, the taller unit would be nice.
I've done as many as seven racks of ribs at once, with a seven-rib rib rack. I did a 20# brisket once. And I've done two 10# pork butts at once.

I really think I was near the max load each time for the products being cooked. No problem keeping the cooker at the desired temp, but took a while to ramp up to desired temp.

I almost never need that much capacity, but more is better, right? Another time I'd have gone with my first choice which was a SM045, but "she who must be obeyed" said "You'll never need that much capacity". And she has been right so far (as usual).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.