Skip to main content

New to the forum. I've been smoking and bar bq'ing for over 35 years and have always had either a Weber kettle, Weber gas (still have), and several smokers. Tonight I'm selling my Primo XL. Why? It's a great cooker but I'm at the point I need something easier to set up and clean. I'm really torn about this but just don't want to fool with the lump any longer, at least for a while and want what I would call a plug and play cooker.

I've been reading posts and have pretty much decided to go with the Amerique. Not sure I need that much space but the cook and hold is the one feature over the SM 045 that keeps me going back. Anyone out there really use that feature on a regular basis or do you think I could save several hundred and go with the SM045. The extra rack really isn't a deal breaker for space but that added feature is what keeps me going back to it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have an 020, so I don't have that feature. Don't know if I'd really use it. I seem to recall someone mention in another thread recently that since these smokers are so well insulated, once it goes into hold mode, it would take hours for it to get down to the hold temperature. Possibly overcooking your meat.

Something to think about. I'm sure some Amerique users will chime in soon.
I have the Amerique, and an SM160. If you can swing it the Ameique is the way to go. You just think you won't need all of that room. Trust me you will be glad you have it. I cooked 12 10# butts last night using both smokers. Tonight I am cooking 8 Large packers totaling 120 #'s. Catering a wedding on Sat. I started with the Amerique and it works great. It can actually get too small sometimes. The hold feature is nice, but don't use it too much. I have everything timed out pretty well by now. It is truly set and forget. Butts set 225 for 12 hrs. I usually check to see if it is done at about 11hrs with a bamboo skewer. If it slides through with little resistance it is done.
Hope this helps.
Gary
Thanks for the comments. Comment regarding time for unit to drop temp to hold was one I was also thinking about. Makes sense that with the heavy insulation it would take a while. Gary, thanks for information on the pork butts. I normally put on 3/10lb and brisket. Primo is gone as of last night which is bitter sweet so now just have to make a decision.
TNBBQR, I have an A/Q and a recently acquired 009.

Example of using the hold feature on my A/Q when doing hot smoked salmon.

Desired product temp and time: 145° for 30 minutes.
Place the temp probe in thickest piece.
Probe temp set: 140°
Set Cooking Temp: 200°
When the product temperature reaches 140° the A/Q will go to hold which is 140°. The carryover will take the product to the desired 145°. When the hold timer reaches 45 minutes, the product is done. I love it. If you decide on the A/Q, you will not be disappointed.
Hope this helps,
T
TNBBQR, I have used the auto hold feature on my AQ many time, but mostly by accident. I use the set it and forget style of smoking all the time so I never miss out on any sleep, but I have not made it home several times when the desired temp is hit and the auto hold feature has saved the day for me. Life is full and we don’t always have time to slowdown.
I upgraded from an 009 to an AQ a few years ago and use the hold feature regularly. It is hard to put a price on this feature. Briskets vary widely in time to finish. With my old setup, I was waking by temp alarm in the middle of the night, or hanging around the house on Sunday afternoon so I wouldn't overcook. It has made a huge difference, almost 'set it and forget it'. I use it when cooking chicken breasts at high temp so they don't get overcooked. The time to get down to hold temperature isn't a big deal for most meats. If you are worried, adjust your probe temp down a couple of degrees and let the carryover finish it up.
TNBBQR,
I am late getting here but I too got tired of fussing with wood on my smoker with the offset fire box. Great food, but time consuming for a long smoke. I purchased the Amerique from CS after much on-line research and phone calls/emails to CS and others as well as asking questions on several forums. The hold feature is great when doing large cuts like butts and shoulders. However, I must say that I don't believe I have had any meat on hold for longer than 30 minutes although that is only a guess.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.