Skip to main content

Hi All,

I am just about to pull the trigger on a 045. There are certain accessories I know I want but I am unsure on the cover. In my case, the cookshack will be stored in a covered deck area. It won't take direct rain but it will certainly get wet during some storms where the rain comes in sideways. I am particularly concerned about the electronic controller on top getting wet.
What do you think?

Thanks,
Bob
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great Choice! You will love your AQ, I guarantee it. Season it well by starting with a medium-sized pork butt for a several-hour smoke, then go crazy smoking everything you like! Give yourself many opportunities to try different meats, woods, smoke temperatures, cook durations, etc. What I love about my AQ is that after the first 30 minutes of a cook it locks into the set temperature and doesn't deviate more than a degree or two for the duration. Truly set and walk away. And when the product is done, the internal temp shown by the CS probe (if you choose that route) is no more than 5 degrees different than the temp by a thermopen from the same area of the meat. One caution - the 140 degree "hold" feature after the probe temp is exceeded is not very useful. The product will continue to cook while the smoker cools down and will probably exceed your doneness requirement, by the time you get to it. I recommend you do not depend on that feature to save you from overcooking. Have fun, and report back, fellow AQ user!
A cover is critical or you will have controller issues. i made the mistake of not getting one when i got my AQ about 6 yrs ago. Had it under a covered part of my deck but water blew in sideways during windy storms. The controller never worked consistently after that and I ended up having to replace the Controller for about $500. Therefore, view he cost of a cover as insurance.
A little late to reply, but everyone should be aware,, it's the best!

The coockshack cover was my second best investment, after the 025 that is. Yes you can find other covers and cheaper, but I would never buy another after having bought the one from Coockshack, 'TOP O THE LINE'! well worth the money,

for me it wasn't a purchase,,, it was an investment!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.