Skip to main content

Ok, you guys can see that this is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a month or two, trying to make up my mind which model to buy. I want a smoker for good BBQ. We grill on gas because it's easier. We'll probably be cooking for 2 to 15. No catering or large crowds. It seems the the 045 model is a little bigger than we need but that seems to be the suggestion of most of the past posts that I've read, to get the next size bigger than what you think you would normally need. It's a lot of money for a smoker and I don't want to overspend but don't want to be disappointed either. Do you agree or should I keep researching?

Also, I'm trying to figure out the best place to buy from, for the best deal. I've read the archives from the past and realize the advantages of buying direct from Smoke Shack and realize they service you equally as well no matter where you buy from. They're a little higher on the price but I know they can't sell for less than their dealers.

The Charcoal Store has the best price that I've found so far. Anyone found anything better?

Thanks alot, I look forward to making up my mind soon and get started cooking, looking up ya'lls favorite recipes, here on the forum!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum.

I would tend to agree with the "bigger is better". The 025 will easily accommodate most of your smooking needs though having the extra space available in the 045 will come into play, sooner or later.

Either way, you'll find whatever you decide upon to be a top quality product backed by the best service & support in the industry.
Hi, funny that I found this post this morning, because I just put two pork butts in my 025 that I've had for years. I have an almost 10 lb bone in and an almost 7 lb bone in and the space between shelves is tight. They both wouldn't have fit on one shelf because I wanted a little air space in between. I have said for years that I I was happy with what I had, but I want a taller one now. I have to start doing my research on here as well.

Good luck with your research. I would definitely go with the bigger one if you can swing it.
I have the 025 and it meets most my needs. Like you I smoke for 6-10 most times, but when you have that barbecue party, it's restrictive. You can handle a group of 50+ if you feed them pork butt or brisket, but you're limited to 6 racks of loin backs...really 5 for better air flow. The ribs are so good in these units that I want to have a rib party but haven't figured how to feed a larger group from the 025.

I'd get the larger unit. You'll use it, and after awhile, you won't miss the money.
Amen to that Pags. My two butts are feeding a bunch of folks tomorrow. But this is the first time I can remember not being able to fit them both in as comfortably as Id like. Maybe its because one is higher and hits the top of the smoker when the racks are in the highest position. I had to squish it to the right so I didnt block the vent hole.

The smaller one is on the lower rack to the left so they are offset.

Minor problems, but I told my husband I need a bigger one just after posting and he said "how much" I said dont worry, CS holds its value and I bet I can get 2/3 rds of its original value.
Bart, I like you, did not want to buy more than I needed... so I started with an 009 as time passed and my cook skills improved, people would want me to cook them one(brisket or what ever) when I was cooking for the family, next time your gonna cook just cook me one also and I'll pay ya, well fast forward now I still have the 009, a Fec-100 and a few others, there are times the fec gets full especially around the holidays, I don't charge for the cook, just appease the friends, am now to the point I am starting to wonder why oh why did I ever let the outside world know...
This probably will only confuse you more about the size, I would say get the bigger of the sizes you are looking at if you can afford it.
I have bought all my cookers direct from cookshack, each time I would call and Bill would always give me a good deal.
Best of luck
Thanks to each of you that responded. I'll give Bill a call and see what he has. I talked to Karen once and she sounded busy. I haven't had a chance to look any more lately on any other site for pricing. Seems that the Charcoal Store had about the best price.

I better do something soon, my wife asked this afternoon if it was going to be here soon enough to cook the Thanksgiving bird in!!
Hey Vernon,

I've been to Round Rock, Texas. Many years ago. My dad grew up around Lampasas, Lometa, Bertrum, area. He's 88, so that's been many years ago too! Interesting area, it is. I have an uncle who still lives in Lometa, Bud Jennings.

Do ya'll smoke with anything other than Mesquite? I remember seeing plenty of that down there. Hickory is my favorite!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.