Skip to main content

Hi everyone. I need some help in deciding if I should buy a cs electric smoker or cs pellet smoker. It would just be for smoking fish. I've never used either type, always had a wsm. I understand how both work, just need to know if the final product would taste the same or better with one vs the other. Thanks for any help.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smoking fish (all salmon so far) on my CS electric (Amerique) is almost ridiculously easy and fast. Over the summer I smoked about 23 lbs in batches of 2 - 3 lbs as needed. Not counting the overnight brining and pellicle formation, the smoking took only a couple of hours, including cleanup. I haven't used a pellet smoker, so I'll let others weigh in on that.
I loved my electric, I love my FEC even more. A little more work as you have to do some additional cleaning and there are a few more things that could possibly go wrong. Electric is cheaper to run, couple chunks of wood compared to a bunch of pellets. Not sure if you're looking at an FEC or the PG grills, can't really comment on those. But whichever one you decide to go with, I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with it.
Oops forgot to say, in regard to your question about flavor, I've found that 2 1/2 to 3 oz of wood gives a great smoke flavor to salmon in the AQ - not overpowering at all but you know you're eating smoked fish. I decided I like apple rather than the traditional alder, just a little sweeter. The brine recipe will also make a big difference in flavor.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.