Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I also did a lot of reading and comparing a few years back and selected the Amerique for me. Easy to use and puts out great "Q". Absolutely no regrets buying it and as Joe M indicated I'm considering getting a bigger one! Smiler

If I had one con it would be the drip pan. On cooks with several pork butts, 30-40 lbs total I've forgotten to empty the pan part way through the cook. Usually wake up in the morning and look out to see a trail of grease just starting out. Eeker Hard to dump that full pan without spilling more. I learned to just put a big tin foil pan or whatever you have under the smoker and not use the drip pan when doing that many butts. Not a big deal though.

Congrats!
Welcome to the forum JDJack. You can't go wrong with the AQ. I love mine. If I could change anything on it, it would be to make it a few inches wider. Some big packer briskets don't fit so easly so you have to fold the end of the flat under until it shrinks up a bit. And it could have bigger set of casters on it. Other then that its an awesome smoker!
quote:
Originally posted by DakotaSmoke:
I also did a lot of reading and comparing a few years back and selected the Amerique for me. Easy to use and puts out great "Q". Absolutely no regrets buying it and as Joe M indicated I'm considering getting a bigger one! Smiler

If I had one con it would be the drip pan. On cooks with several pork butts, 30-40 lbs total I've forgotten to empty the pan part way through the cook. Usually wake up in the morning and look out to see a trail of grease just starting out. Eeker Hard to dump that full pan without spilling more. I learned to just put a big tin foil pan or whatever you have under the smoker and not use the drip pan when doing that many butts. Not a big deal though.

Congrats!

Dakota, have you tryed a 4 inch half hotel pan? It fits perfect. You can pick up one at a restraunt supply store.
quote:
Originally posted by JDJACK:
Thanks for the post Wilber. I did see approximately 4 comments on forums suggesting larger caster wheels. I don't think it will be a problem as I am going to sit it on a 20-inch high stainless steel table I welded up for my outdoor kitchen.

Your good to go then.Great smoker, great customer service, and it will turn out alot of top shelf Q..
quote:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Originally posted by Wilber:
Dakota, have you tryed a 4 inch half hotel pan? It fits perfect. You can pick up one at a restraunt supply store.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks Wilber, I'll give that a try! Smiler
JDJACK, Welcome! You will never regret your purchase of the AQ. My advice is that as soon as you can afford it, get the stand (it saved my knees and back), and get some bigger casters. I got 3" casters and it has made a huge difference, just rolling it in and out of the garage. Only about $35 and easy to install (be sure to get the right thread size). If you get the stand you'll need to keep the more shallow drip pan so it will fit between the smoker and the stand.

My only concern (not a problem since I haven't tried yet) is whether the AQ is too moist an environment to make good smoked sausage. I've seen different opinions, but haven't yet tried hanging a 20 lb batch of 12 inch links to see how it works. Still on my list.

Another piece of advice - if you can get hold of a few polder-type thermometers, use them to check out the temperature variations from front to back, side to side, and rack to rack, hopefully after you season the smoker so the shiny surfaces are dulled a bit by smoke or a few cooks. Then you'll know where to place your product for predictable results!

Good luck, and enjoy!
Well Folks, I pulled the trigger about 30 minutes ago and purchased the Amerique. What a GREAT COMPANY (Cookshack). The Cookshack sales person saved me money by telling me I could get a better price from The Charcoal Store or Firecraft due to their volume discounts with Cookshack. How many other companies look out for the consumer of their products?

Amerique - $1,749.95
Shipping - $49.00 (flat rate)
Sweet deal. I have had mine since April 2012. Only one bad smoke. Too much smoke/wood. I used 3 chunks of wood throughout a long smoke. I weighed a few pieces afterwards and they averaged 4 ounces each. I now weigh and cut the wood into 1, 2, and 3 ounce pieces. No bitterness. I generally stick with 2 or 3 ounces for most smokes. The Amerique is utterly reliable and will not let you down.
Well Folks, I received my new Amerique, broke it in, and did my first brisket smoke. I made one big mistake by letting a few of my neighbors know about my new smoker. The brisket turned out SOOO-GOOD and moist that my neighbors have already planned for me to brine and smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Never knew I had so many friends in the neighborhood. Thanks Cookshack!!!!!!
I've had my AQ now for about two years. We have had no problems and excellent Q every time we have used it. It is so easy to use! Keep meticulous records and read the forum. We were at first going to get a smaller model, but thankfully we got this one so we can smoke larger amounts when company or family comes over. I've read that stick smokers give better tasting results, but I think that staying up all night tending a pork butt is not worth it. With cookshack you put it in and relax. Just check once in a while to make sure you still have power. With the old gas Brinkman I had to check it every hour. AQ is the one to get.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.