Skip to main content

This will be my first smoker. Trying to figure out if the extra cost for the AQ is worth it over the SM045?

I am a set it a forget it type of guy.

Or maybe I should go with the SM025....

Any insight will help a newbie pull the trigger. I've tried searching for this to no avail. I am sure this has been asked before.... Thanks for any help.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just purchased my first electric smoker, and I purchased the AQ. I have to say I am extremely pleased with the unit, I have used it twice with great results each time. I don't know about the SM045, but I can tell you the AQ is not to big, for a serious weekend cook. I am glad I did not go with the smaller unit. For what it's worth.
Thanks cook one. I have many years of grilling experience just never really got into smoking. Always wanted to though. Beside the 15 lb capicity difference it looks like the only other difference is the the ability to go into the hold cycle.

I can't wait to get one of these home!!!

Thanks for any insight anyone wishes to give.
it depends on what your needs are, how many will you be cooking for? I have an SM025 elite and I have never had a problem cooking for a crowd. I have had a little as 2 slabs of ribs and as much 20+ lbs of pork butt and the unit was able to handle each with no problems. I believe it comes down to affordibilty vs size need. If you arent going to be processing large amounts of product a smaller model would be fine and more cost effctive.
I say get the 025. Then if you need more room, buy another 025. Two 025 will still be cheaper than one AmQ.

I have a 5yr old 009 that I do my butts in at 225 degrees. I do 4 butts in it all the time. I am thinking about getting a 025 for ribs or brisket that I can cook at 250 while my 009 will be set at 225. I think 2 units give more flexibility than one especially since you can have both going at different temps!

I have never said that I wish I got the bigger AmQ, I would rather have 2 smaller units!
I think it depends on how much capacity you need/want and how much you're willing to spend.

I have an SM020 and for 90% of my smokes it has been fine. A few of them I wish I had a little more capacity, so I could throw in the ribs or the beans while the brisket & butt were still going. But you learn to compromise, FTC the long cooking ones and throw the rest on. Just have to plan ahead a little.
IMHO, the AmeriQue is the way to go. As Pags said "More capacity. Flexibility." You will be happy with either, but if you don't go with the AQ, you will always wish that you had..... Either way get a CS cart or buy something to put the smoker on. It makes loading and checking easier. I bought my AQ last October and I love it, but I ended up getting an FEC....
I own a Sm025 and am extremely happy with Q that comes out. I bought it in January and have 4 people in my family. We smoke something every week and it serves us fine. The only time I wish I had more room was for the Ribs. I did 7 racks of St. Louis over the weekend and had just enough to feed 12 people. I have done brisket, pork shoulder, chicken, tri-tip and cheese and it's plenty big enough to serve company with those items. So just the Ribs are the only reason I would want something bigger.
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboysmoke:
Thanks cook one. I have many years of grilling experience just never really got into smoking. Always wanted to though. Beside the 15 lb capicity difference it looks like the only other difference is the the ability to go into the hold cycle.

I can't wait to get one of these home!!!

Thanks for any insight anyone wishes to give.

As others have mentioned, it depends on how much capacity you need. Better to have too much vs too little. The hold feature would certainly fit into your "set it and forget it" profile.
quote:
Originally posted by easy victor:
I know this is an ancient thread, but...

A friend of mine is looking into the SM044. He likes my AQ but doesn't like the cost. Does the 044 have a hold freature/option like the AQ? I find that feature really important especially on long smokes like brisket.

Easy,
The 45 does not have the hold function, just the AQ. I have found the hold feature to be useful, but you could easily get by with a remote thermometer.
Easy Victor, First, I would advise your friend to buy the most he can comfortably afford. I
bought the 45 and have loved it since day one.
The 066 has about the same size shelfs, but gives you one more than the 45. The 45 does not have a "hold" setting, but I've found if my product is done early, I just turn it down to 140. Both have an internal meat probe. the 66 will hold 15 pounds more meat. The 45 has been big enough for most things I have been doing, but now I'm thinking of comps and have my eye on an FEC 100 (got to get the Mrs. to see eye to eye with me on that one) There's also about a $463 price difference between the two. I wanted the 66 but had to settle for the 45.
Have NOT BEEN SORRY for choosing the 45.

Good luck to and good que to your friend, whichever model he chooses- he won't be sorry either way.
Thanks for the replies. He will never use the 66 size as it's for his family only, but I think he will like the hold feature that it offers. I use it for brisket when I have to go to my office and can't be sure when it will be done.

When he gets whatever unit he decides on, I will have to come clean about where I got my awesome receipes...!!
I have owned three cookshack units over the last fifteen years, purchasing an upgrade each time. I currently have an AQ that I am very happy with...wondering if I should get an FEC100. I have never had a problem selling the smaller units to a friend for a fair price. Once they have tasted the food, they want one.

Barry
I will say that I do really like the hold feature on the AQ. If I am doing pork, I will typically clean it up and rub it down on a Thursday and let it sit in the fridge until Friday night around 7:00 pm. Will put it/them in the AQ with the probe and set the unit to 240 with a probe temp of 195. I will check it around 11:00 when I take the dogs out and decide if I am going to bump it up or down 10 degrees depending on the temp and then just let it run until about noon on Saturday not having to worry because of the hold feature. That way I can deal with it on Saturday whenever it is most convenient.
I had an old Smokette, the model they now call the SM009. I don't do much but cook for myself and my neighbors. I upgraded to a used SM150 (now called the SM160). 18 x 18 inch shelves. This weekend was the first time I maxed it out pretty well. Overnight I cooked off an 8.5 pound pork butt cooked at 225 for about 13 hours, once I pulled that out I put in my 6 pre rubbed ribs two racks to a shelf and two half hotel pans of baked beans to smoke with some hickory and apple wood. One of the features I really like very much is the digital read out - tells you the temp of the smoker and then the remaining cooking time of the food. Don't use a probe, when I wanna know the internal temp of the meat I use a digital quick read thermometer (for briskets and pork butt) and while I'm probing different parts of the meat for temperature I'm also checking how easy that probe slides in and out, also a great indicator as to doneness.

If your shelves are 18 inches wide (or deep) you can lay down whole slabs of ribs or a whole brisket without having to cut part of it off. For me that's what the larger units are about - having that 18 inch shelf working for you.
So after reading these, sounds like the 066 is the way to go. I don't think price is that big of deal, but just want a good smoker for small family meal and neighborhood cookouts. Is there any big deal on cooking small portions on the 066?

Professional Griller. Definitely novice smoker Smiler
I made that decision 18 months ago after looking at their catalog and website for about a year. When calling I mentioned they had specials when I originally had contacted them and inquired if they have some coming up. Sure enough they did which made it easy to decide. Make sure you ask.
There is no problem cooking smaller portions in the 066 and I have never used more then two shelves up to now but I sure appreciated the extra height when hanging the meat from the top shelf instead of laying it on the shelf.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.